PDA

View Full Version : XJS Convertible -- opinions?

aerog
08-26-2002, 10:16 PM
I'm looking at a mid-90s XJS Convertible (6 Cyl), in absolutely marvelous condition about 50k-miles on it.

Any opinions? Big headache car? Good reliability? Is there anything reasonable that can be owner serviceable on it?

This would absolutely be an occasional and Sunday-Driver type car.

Thanks much! - Scott

Michael J.
08-26-2002, 11:02 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aerog:
I'm looking at a mid-90s XJS Convertible (6 Cyl), in absolutely marvelous condition about 50k-miles on it.

Any opinions? Big headache car? Good reliability? Is there anything reasonable that can be owner serviceable on it?

Thanks much! - Scott<hr></blockquote>

Michael J.
08-26-2002, 11:11 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aerog:

I have a 90 V-12 Conv. and do all the work myself with the exception of diagnostics. I suggest getting a shop manual reprint and a parts cat. Both were indispensible. I like the cars. The 6 cyl. is a good choice. It may not be as fast as the 12 cyl., but it does MUCH better on gas mileage.

Drive the car on ramps, put on some coveralls, get a flashlight and mirror. Look at the rear calipers real good. Anny sign of leakage and grooving on the disk, worn pads, ask for a $1,000 discount on the asking price. Use the $1,000 to pay to have the rear brakes done. Check the parking brake at the same time for operation. I overhauled my rear brakes, and hindsight being 20/20, would have prefered to lower the rear suspension cage and done the whole rear end (u-joints, bushings, mounts, brakes)while the unit was out. It is difficult, but not impossible, to do in place. Good Luck! M.J. Baker

Thanks much! - Scott<hr></blockquote>

Steve
08-26-2002, 11:15 PM
Scott,

The six-cylinder cars were very good, reliable units, still not a DIY type of car but more so than the 12-cylinders. Other than the typical filters and plugs, there really isn't much you can do yourself. This is no MG!

Ford held the reins when this car was made, so build quality and reliability are good, and of course parts availabilty is still not an issue. You can get hold of parts and service manuals easily, and I know that Jaguar/Daimler Heritage Trust have them out on CD-ROM. Let me know if you buy it, I can put you in touch with the scource for them, around $20 I think. Are you going to be able to get a good deal the car?

[ 08-26-2002: Message edited by: Steve ]

[ 08-26-2002: Message edited by: Steve ]</p>

aerog
08-26-2002, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the info Michael...

Steve:

I haven't even priced it out to be honest, this is somewhat sudden. I looked at it about 2 years ago when I was looking at a V12 Coupe (friend of a friend type of thing). The car is very nice, babied, etc. All things considered my gut feeling is it's a good price, but I'll have to check some of the particulars.

In the end it'll mean getting rid of one of the other toys images/icons/smile.gif

XJRpilot
08-27-2002, 11:44 PM
by all means the aj6 is easier to work with than the v12. the 12 requires loads of knowledge and money. i know. on the six you can do spark plugs,
dist. cap and rotor, air filter, oil change, the usual maintenance. yes, check the brakes and rotors. they are costly. as on the v12 the aj6
requires special tools to perform some normal repairs ie; water pump.
do a compression check, and cooling system pressure check before purchase. make sure they are in spec. while ford held the reins during its production, and build quality is good jaguar part prices are not ford part prices. all in all it is a good car. while the power is less than that of the v12, it still is fast and should put a smile on your face. reliability is good.
just be a fanatic with oil changes and yearly
coolant flushes. it will keep you happy.