PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 battery pad?

NutmegCT
04-30-2012, 05:53 PM
I'm replacing my old battery (Autocraft Silver 24-5). When I pulled it out, I realized that it was sitting directly on the steel floor of the battery box.

The box floor is in pretty good condition; doesn't need an "insert".

I'll be putting in a standard (not gel) battery.

Should there be some type of "pad" (treated, absorbent felt, etc.) or other barrier between the bottom of the battery, and the battery box? I've seen some for sale, but don't know if they're needed.

Thanks.
Tom

luke44
04-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Try TRF 602945 (https://trf.zeni.net/TR2-TR3Handbook/22.php?s_wt=1680&s_ht=1050).

Don Elliott
04-30-2012, 09:21 PM
I still use the four original black rubber pads that came with my 1958 TR3A when I bought it brand new. The pads measure about 2.5" by 6" and you stack them two high off center under the battery. I think they help let the water drain out the battery box after a heavy rainstorm or after you have washed the TR and water collects in the bottom of the battery box, These pads are non absorbing and allow the water to drain out the bottom hole.

NutmegCT
05-01-2012, 05:33 AM
Thanks gentlemen. I hadn't even thought about the rubber spacers.

Don - about how thick is each of those four pads? I may just use several pieces cut from old inner tube.

Thanks.
Tom

PeterK
05-01-2012, 07:46 AM
I use battery mat material that absorbs and neutralize acids in all of my vehicles. In the TRs, this is in addition to the factory rubber strips.

CJD
05-01-2012, 08:31 AM
Thanks gentlemen. I hadn't even thought about the rubber spacers.

Don - about how thick is each of those four pads? I may just use several pieces cut from old inner tube.

Thanks.
Tom

Hey Tom,

They are a bit thicker than that, like 1/4". That would be a lot of layers of inner tube.

John

bgbassplyr
05-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Tom,

PM me your address and I'll send you enough EPDM roof walk tread that's about 3/8" thick and will allow water to pass through it. You can cut it in lengths and widths to suit with a box cutter.

NutmegCT
05-02-2012, 07:04 AM
Jim - thanks for the offer. I actually have some of that out in the shed. Great idea.

Tom

angelfj1
05-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Tom: Late reply, but its a good time to check your charge rate. Do a search on this because I recall Don Elliott had something to say about it. TR's often left the factory with poorly adjusted regulators, resulting in overcharged batteries. That caused the electrolyte to boil out and corrode the surrounding metal. Incidentally, most of the brass tags that I make are to replace the lower (numbers only) plate. The originals are long gone, victims of sulfuric acid fumes! I made up a brass tag for Don and he even runs with a plastic guard over the top of his battery just as an extra precaution!