PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire Tire bumps wheel well on spit mk3

68umph
04-30-2012, 08:50 AM
I just bought a 1968 spitfire & the previous owner replaced shocks and springs. When I hit big bumps the tire rubs the wheel well. Car has wire knock offs so I don't think it's due to over sized tires. I'm thinking about adding a spacer on the shock to shorten the travel. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Thanks!

Andrew Mace
04-30-2012, 10:11 AM
What part of the wheel well is the tire rubbing? I don't think a spacer will help; rather, it would only change the ride height a bit but probably wouldn't make enough of a change in geometry or travel. (This is in front, correct?)

68umph
04-30-2012, 10:36 AM
The outer edge of the tire hits the top center edge of front wheel well. Only when I hit a bump that compltely compresses the shock

Rhodyspit75
04-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Are these factory wire wheels or something aftermarket? Also you say the PO changed the springs, could be he dropped the front lower.

68umph
05-01-2012, 07:45 AM
YI'm not sure if they are afterml carket. I think I will need to consult with some local club guys so they can see what's going on.

Simon TR4a
05-01-2012, 08:09 AM
If it touches over a bump I would expect there would be a visible problem with ride height, i.e. low at the front.
Springs hold the car up, not shocks- see if you can see if the coils have been cut, or remove a spring and check the free height against the specification.
Using spacers is a makeshift solution.