PDA

View Full Version : Wedge TR7 - Anyone Convert from Carbs to EFI

RAC68
04-25-2012, 07:27 PM
I have a 79 TR7 and was wondering if anyone has converted the 2-Liter 4 from Stromberg carbs to EFI. I am not interested in going to the version of EFI used on 81 TR7 but, possibly, a version from a Honda or other commonly-available cars in the US.

Ray (79TR7)

tdskip
04-25-2012, 08:34 PM
The trick is finding something that will fit the TR7 intake. Search for "Bob Daniels TR6 EFI" for some ideas.

Got_All_4
04-25-2012, 08:34 PM
I was at the Roadster factory Party last year and there was a guy that had a TR6 with a EFI conversion for the Stromberg carbs and he loved it. You gut the carbs and place in a insert with an injector and use the Stromberg carb body as the throttle body. very simple, straight forward and reasonable. Don't remember who made it but some one on the forum should know.

Darrell_Walker
04-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Check out Patton Machine:

https://www.pattonmachine.com/TBI-Main.htm

70herald
04-25-2012, 10:35 PM
possibly, a version from a Honda or other commonly-available cars in the US.

Ray (79TR7)

The problem with going with a stock system is that the EFI needs to be set up to match the engine. With a system off of a stock vehicle there is no way that the programming would provide the correct air/fuel ratio. You would wind up with a system that at best would work like a poorly tuned carb, and more likely not at all.
Adding EFI basically means that you also need an easy way to program the air fuel curve. There are aftermarket systems which make this possible (microsquirt and a bunch of others) but they all require a fair amount of tinkering.

AEW
04-26-2012, 12:34 AM
I've been saving bits of a Bosch CIS system but no immediate plans. At least it is air flow metered. I'll need to fab the junction between the Triumph manifold and the old throttle body. Probably silicone cuffs or something. I worked on this type of unit when I had an early VW-GTi. The old TR pulls ballpark the same cfm, just at a lower rpm. But it's just a backburner pipedream.... There are SO many other things to get done first.

tr8todd
04-26-2012, 06:48 AM
The BMW guys with the 4 cylinder M10 engines have real good results with Megasquirt. The engines are very similar. Both slant to the side and are 2L. Troll Bimmerforums and BMW2002FAQ for some ideas. Trick is going to be to find a manifold that you can install injectors into the individual runners, since the heads have no provision for them. I see lots of aluminum welding in your future. Another big hurdle will be the gas tank. The TR7 tank only has one outlet. You will need a place to return fuel. The FI TR7s and all TR8s used a two outlet tank, but those are impossible to find. Best bang for your buck on a TR7 engine is a cam, headers, and SU carbs from an early 240Z. That combo along with the higher ratio rear end that came in the TR7, should be able to take a stock TR8 in 0 to 60. After that, forget about it. The TR8 will just pull away. There is a reason you don't see many modified TR7s. Sale price of TR7 plus money required to modify TR7 equals TR8.