PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR2 Sway bar questions/info request

TimK1955tr2
04-24-2012, 06:59 PM
Hi, would anyone have experience with installing a front sway bar on a TR2 or early TR3?

I noticed TRF has a sway bar kit for a TR3A/B but I am wondering what is different for the earlier cars?

I can't imagine the drum brakes interfere?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or info...

TR3driver
04-24-2012, 07:42 PM
The difference is that the aftermarket bars mount into the bumper supports, which are completely different on the "smallmouth" cars. Even the factory TR4 bar mounts will interfere with the early bumper supports.

One possible solution, which I plan to try (when I find some bumper supports), is to weld in a flat plate between the two bars on each side, to provide a mount for the sway bar pivots.

TimK1955tr2
04-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the reply Randall!

So a TR3A/B sway bar should "fit" regarding the width of the sway bar and how it connects to the suspension, the earlier cars just need a mounting bracket fabricated either using the bumper brackets or specific bracket mounted off the frame.

I do have a TIG welder to fabricate the brackets, I thought that was going to be the issue. I just wanted a second opinion before purchasing a sway bar and trying to make it work, in case I was overlooking another problem.

I will report back if I do end up taking on the project...

TR3driver
04-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Yes, should work fine. I actually had the ADDCO bar from my TR3A mounted to my current TR3, when it was wearing the 3A apron, bumper and brackets. It fit just fine.

Here's a shot of the bar installed on TS13571L, using the bumper brackets from my wrecked 3A.

https://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh260/TR3driver/TS13571L/DSCF0007-1.jpg

WiscTR
04-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Memo to self re: pic in previous post -- did British Leyland, Rootes Group, etc., ever have an interest in a kitty litter production facility :-)

TR3driver
04-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Yup, it do "mark its spot". Someday, I plan to pull the (original) engine for a rebuild, but right now I'm having too much fun driving the car. And the leaks have slowed down somewhat since that photo was taken (it now has a new pan gasket and a new steering box seal; in addition to the proper small mouth apron and no sway bar).

There is still kitty litter on the driveway, though :smile:

Just curious, is there anyone else on this forum (besides Don Elliott) that routinely puts 10k/year on a TR3?