PDA

View Full Version : Wedge TR8 Speedo cables

GBRandy
04-23-2012, 09:10 PM
My speedo cable broke....the short one that runs from the O2 sensor counter to the speedometer. It sheered off at the speedo. I would gladly buy the full set if I could find one.

Neither Rimmer, Vicky Brit or TRF show ones available. Anyone have any guidance on where to have one made up?

Darrell_Walker
04-23-2012, 09:16 PM
I've not used them, but it looks like they know what they are doing:

https://www.vintagebritishcables.com/

TR3driver
04-23-2012, 09:44 PM
They used to sell "universal replacement" inner cables in auto parts stores that worked reasonably well. You basically got a fairly long length of inner cable, a crimp-on fitting and a crude crimp tool. Cut the cable to length, put the fitting over the end, add the tool and smash it with a BFH to form the crimp.

I'd also like to point out that there was probably a reason the cable broke. Check the speedo head for dry bearings that bind only when they get hot.

Do you have a Stanpart number for the cable? The diagram on Revington's site shows two numbers, GSD287 and GSD388, both of which seem to be available through TRF. But I'm guessing those are for cars without the counter.
https://www.revingtontr.com/CatalogueImages/TR7/2C-16R.jpg

Another thought might be to skip the counter ...

JodyFKerr
04-23-2012, 09:45 PM
You check to see if Ted @ TSI has any?

tr8todd
04-24-2012, 05:58 AM
The carbed model TR7/8 used a single cable that went straight from the side of the tranny thru a hole in the top forward part of the tunnel above the gas pedal up into the back of the speedo. You could use one of those and do away with the counter. There was an issue with the connection to the speedo on the new replacement ones. Can't remember if they weren't manufactured just right or if there is more than one type of speedo connection. They wouldn't lock into place solidly and would often pop off. Problem has most likely been fixed by now, but something to keep in mind. I have several good used ones if you can't find new. Sounds like your doing a lot of work on your car this Spring.

GBRandy
04-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Thanks guys.... Great suggestions, let me poke around a bit.

I am always doing work on the car. That's partially why I bought it. I do drive whenever I can so little stuff breaking isn't any surprise. The car has over 180,000 miles.

Todd: The switches you sent were perfect. Thanks!