PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A Tr4a, wheel spacers and balance

Rrbbeerrttoo
04-23-2012, 05:16 PM
My alloy wheels have 5/16in. spacers on the front wheel to clear the frame. My thinking says that elongated spacer holes unbalance the wheels if the spacers are not perfectly on center. I do have vibration at 62 mph, but not lower or higher speed.
My question is how to centralize the spacers.
Thanks

Robert
tr4a irs
Oceanside , ca

Geo Hahn
04-23-2012, 06:03 PM
My spacers have elongated hole but once in place are forced into a very centralized position. Unless yours are way off I would not expect a slight variation that close to the center of the wheel to have much affect.

I suppose you could try fixing them in place with a dab of something sticky like form-a-gasket -- seems you only need them to be held centered until the wheels are mounted, at that point they are clamped in position by the wheel.

TR3driver
04-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Or, you could always get spacers that fit correctly, instead of "one size fits none".

https://the-vintage-racer.com//index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_ id=16

TuffTR250
04-23-2012, 06:13 PM
I special ordered wheel spacers from Revington to use with my wire wheels because I did not like the look of the spacers with slotted holes. (I wanted spacers so I could leave the lug bolts long for use with my alloy wheels or with wire wheels. The spacers sold by Revington have the holes the exact right size and the exact right location for our 4 lug wheels. It is fairly expensive to get them from Revington, but I felt they are worth it to get ones made special for Triumphs.
Regards,
Bob

Monkeywrench
04-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Any racing parts warehouse will have spacers. Measure them when you get them and make sure they are an uniform thickness. They should self center, or come close to it. If not, use a dab of anti-seize to get them to hold.

Rrbbeerrttoo
04-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Thank you all. I appreciate your feedback.

robert
66'tr4a irs