PDA

View Full Version : Front badge colors

tmc
04-22-2012, 08:34 PM
I have the correct badge for the front apron on my TR3A, TS45911L project, but it has a small chip in the white painted area. Since not all "whites" are alike, any advice on where to find a white that would match/closely match? It's the original badge, so I want to reuse it.

Geo Hahn
04-22-2012, 09:09 PM
I don't think that is paint in there but some harder fired material more like glass or enamel.

Still, someone must have tried something to fashion a repair w/o the expense of redoing the badge.

BTW -- is the badge blue & white or blue, black and white? Your commission # is in the range where the 3-color version was sometimes used.

TomMull
04-23-2012, 07:01 AM
I believe the original was porcelain enamel. I agree that the original are much nicer than the reproductions but a seamless repair will be quite difficult. (It is very difficult to tell a repro from original once on the car, however). An acceptable but non-concourse d'elegance repair can be made with epoxy paint, IMO. I visited a chrome shop once that did this type of thing (not Triumph) and I'm quite sure they used paint process. Used badges, in various states of condition, are quite common.

Gordon_Dedrick
04-23-2012, 08:53 AM
50 year old badges will "age" gracefully over time and even the original color will change slightly. I think any hard paint.....white porcelin appliance repair for example will work. The key is to build up in several light coats to get an even surface and test the color first for match. Repro badges are available (and a very nice product) from The Roadster Factory for under $200. Complete cloissinne badge renewal can be VERY expensive IF you can find some one to do it. I have a source in England if you are interested.
Gordon

angelfj1
04-23-2012, 01:50 PM
The originals may have been true cloisonne and that would have been fired in a kiln. If its enamel, you can repair it yourself or send it out to a firm like this:

https://alohilanidesigns.com/repairing-cloisonne-enamel/

Brosky
04-23-2012, 02:03 PM
Frank, I just got a Norton 2012 Security message stating that it blocked a Java attack originating from that site.

Let the viewer beware....

angelfj1
04-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Thanks Paul.

PeterK
04-23-2012, 03:16 PM
It's a java based site, but it worked OK for me. No alerts on IE9.

6TTR3A
04-24-2012, 01:17 AM
Completely non-useful but:
There was a guy in Pasadena in the 60's named Harry Pulfer. His contribution to the hobby was he repaired Cloisonne car badges. I had a '31 Chevy radiator badge that was a mess ! (All GM badges in the 20s/30s were Cloisonne) Harry restored it to new by re-firing it in correct colors but he said he had to have $15.00 to make it worth his while !!

Brosky
04-24-2012, 06:31 AM
I wanted to change the color on my TR6 badge (a spare actually) and a friend of mine in the jewelry business in Providence applied a cloisonne for me. He does have the ovens to fire it properly, but doesn't want to do this kind of work.

tmc
04-24-2012, 10:43 PM
I don't think that is paint in there but some harder fired material more like glass or enamel.

Still, someone must have tried something to fashion a repair w/o the expense of redoing the badge.

BTW -- is the badge blue & white or blue, black and white? Your commission # is in the range where the 3-color version was sometimes used.

It's blue and white.

tmc
04-24-2012, 10:48 PM
50 year old badges will "age" gracefully over time and even the original color will change slightly. I think any hard paint.....white porcelin appliance repair for example will work. The key is to build up in several light coats to get an even surface and test the color first for match. Repro badges are available (and a very nice product) from The Roadster Factory for under $200. Complete cloissinne badge renewal can be VERY expensive IF you can find some one to do it. I have a source in England if you are interested.
Gordon

My restoration isn't concours, as I've made some modifications that won't suit the judges, but it's such a high quality restoration, I just want the front badge to look as good as the rest of the car. An off-white porcelain appliance repair might be the ticket.

Geo Hahn
04-25-2012, 01:54 PM
One local club member who has a very fine TR3A made a little 'bra' for the emblem to protect against stone chips.

Leather lined with something soft and shaped to fit over the badge with magnets embedded to get it to hold against the bonnet. Sorry I don't have a pic, looks much nicer than I have described.