PDA

View Full Version : New noise... should I be concerned?

SCguy
02-27-2005, 05:37 PM
In the past year I haven't driven my 74 TR6 that much (3000 miles?), so after sitting for the past few months I went for a drive today. Well, at first I thought my belt was sqealling, but then I realized that the sound was coming from my transmission, possibly my clutch. The sound doesn't happen all the time and is worse in first gear. Performance does not seem to be affected. The transmission and clutch probably have only 5000 miles on them.

Any thoughts...

trboost
02-27-2005, 06:04 PM
Standing still, if you depress the clutch & the noise stops it's a noisey TOB. No big deal, this doesn't mean you have to pull the trany ASAP, you'll probably only get another 40 or 50 thousand miles out of it before it fails. Just put up with the noise. If you have a Gunst bearing try the pre-load.
If this happens at speed & especially under load it's probably a U-joint. If you have greasable joints , you know what I'll suggest, if not you have some work ahead of you.
The transmissions generaly don't make squeeling noises but if the first two suggestions are not correct check the fluids , especially if it's an OD unit.

Now's a good time to review the recent topic "Who likes Triumph anyway" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Geo Hahn
02-27-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...a noisey TOB. No big deal, this doesn't mean you have to pull the trany ASAP, you'll probably only get another 40 or 50 thousand miles out of it before it fails...

[/ QUOTE ]

One of our local club members had this on his '6... ran a pool for who could predict the day his TOB would finally die. Sorry can't remember hearing who won - not even sure anyone has yet.

trboost
02-27-2005, 08:03 PM
Geo,
I think a common mistake that's made when installing a new throw out bearing on the carrier is to heat the bearing to slide it on. I think heating the bearing liquifies the grease and the self lubricating ability is compromised. I have never had to do this. Simply putting the carrier in the freezer for an hour is all you need.

AltaKnight
02-27-2005, 10:13 PM
so after sitting for the past few months I went for a drive today. Well, at first I thought my belt was sqealling, but then I realized that the sound was coming from my transmission, possibly my clutch.

Any cats missing in your neighbourhood? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif