PDA

View Full Version : Now I know

sd80mac7204
04-19-2012, 04:01 PM
that I have never been there before.

Wednesday was my day off so I figured I would gas up the Spitfire and go for a drive. My only rule was I only wanted to drive on roads no bigger than a two lane black top and as few dirt roads as possible. To those of you who are familiar with western Pa, some of these places may sound familiar. I left Home and drove west down rt 85 until I got to Kittanning then dropped down over the hill and crossed the river. now usually I have my Gps with me in the car but I left it in the PPV. Somehow after wandering around in the middle of nowhere I ended up in Chicora Pa... How in the world did i do that? Took me almost 2 hours to get there so I broke my rule and tore back on US 422. :wall: What a ride.

Home - Plumville - Rural Valley - Kittanning - West Kittanning - Sugarcreek - Chicora - Butler - Worthington - Kittanning - Elderton - Shelocta - Indiana - Home

TR3driver
04-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Man, that sounds like fun! Back before GPS, one of my favorite things was to find a road I had never driven, and find out where it went. Generally I wouldn't even take a map (and many of the roads I found were not on the map). More than once, the road would peter out in the middle of a field!

Andrew Mace
04-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Man, that sounds like fun! Back before GPS, one of my favorite things was to find a road I had never driven, and find out where it went. Generally I wouldn't even take a map (and many of the roads I found were not on the map). More than once, the road would peter out in the middle of a field! I agree: FUN! I've done this "completely blind" but also (a good 10 years ago now) with M*pQ**st maps that unfortunately pointed me onto long-deserted logging and/or utility line access roads! :frown:

DougF
04-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Yep, you turned left at Sugarcreek to Rt. 168. Your mistake was that you should have continued on into Parker and follow the Allegheny River to The Foxburg Inn for a sandwich and a cold one. Remember that the next trip.

You also can turn right (I think there is only one right) in Plumville and head to Smicksburg and Punxsutawney. But you probably already know that.

Definitely some beautiful roads around there.

Banjo
04-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Grampa: "Indiana Pennsylvania?"
Me: "Yup, we have some friends at IUP."
Grampa: "Ya know Jimmy Stewart was from Indiana Pennsylavnia."
Me: "Yup, I know"
Grampa: "His parents had a hardware store there."
Me: "Yea, now it's a park and there's a nice memorial there"
Grampa: "Oh, that's nice"
And the next time I came home from school in Blairsville;
Grampa: "Indiana Pennsylvania?"...........
I miss my grampa. he was the best.
There are some really neat back roads down that way.

HerronScott
04-19-2012, 08:16 PM
Man, that sounds like fun! Back before GPS, one of my favorite things was to find a road I had never driven, and find out where it went. Generally I wouldn't even take a map (and many of the roads I found were not on the map). More than once, the road would peter out in the middle of a field!

That's what my then good friend (now wife) and I used to do in high school in my TR4A! Weekend rides on the back roads in and around the Blue Ridge in western Virginia. And yes a couple of times we did end up in West Virginia!

Scott

TexasKnucklehead
04-19-2012, 10:58 PM
I spent a summer at IUP. -with my brothers TR4. I may have been on that road, but names have never been my strong point. And I never thought I was lost if I made it home (not Home, Pa, home Portage, Pa).

3798j
04-20-2012, 06:10 AM
Definitely some great sports car roads out western PA way - Indiana University of PA class of '71 - car: 1966 BRG solid axle TR4A. Wonderful memories.

LexTR3
04-20-2012, 07:51 AM
Never know what you might run into....

I went on an adventure ride from Rt. 60, in "southside Virgia" north, aiming to get to Scottswville, on the James. The road started out paved, but soon turned to gravel... Pretty soon I was in completely uninhabited, desolate, cut-over, Virginia flat back-country.... with no end in sight. Interesting... but troublesome. Then, all of a sudden, a long caravan of sheriff's cars,SWAT trucks and, unmaked police cars came racing toward me on this narrow road! Must have been a dozen, at least. They flew by me and all I kept hoping for was that they weren't hitting me with too much gravel. About an hour later, I finally reached Scottsville and paved roads back to civilization.

An adventure... but definitely a "one-time adventure."

martx-5
04-20-2012, 08:22 AM
I like to look for those forgotten roads and let them take me wherever they lead. It's pretty hard to get lost on Long Island, as going north or south will always lead you to a major east-west road. I do take the GPS with me however, just in case I want to get home in the most efficient manner.

DougF
04-20-2012, 04:07 PM
It's hard to get lost in rural Western PA, unfortunately, all too often it's too easy to be found. Our biggest problem is potholes that can swallow a Triumph.

sd80mac7204
04-20-2012, 04:13 PM
Potholes yes... Straddling those can be near impossible. The scary thing is meeting a tri-axle coal bucket on a back road.

I'll bet you a dollar and a doughnut that I get semi lost in Butler tomorrow, Doug.

DougF
04-20-2012, 05:34 PM
You'll be fine. Do you have my cell? What kind of doughnut?

Sent you a PM

booley
04-20-2012, 09:11 PM
... my then good friend (now wife)...
Scott

she's not your friend anymore?