PDA

View Full Version : Help on transmission

donbmw
04-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Will I found out that I had a tooth come off a gear. It appears that it is on the counter shaft that I cannot see. I am trying to get the input shaft out but it will only move about a 1/4 inch and it seems to be hitting someing. I have a tube that is shorter that the counter shaft and the counter shaft gear set drops about 1/8 inch down at the input shaft gears. All the manuals I have say just pull the input shaft out. One manual shows a special puller the other does not say anything special. I have been heating the case which help some to where I can slide the shaft and bearing assy the 1/4 inch easily but is stops on something. I think the counter shaft gear set needs to drop more. Am I missing something the manuals are not saying.

TR3driver
04-15-2012, 04:20 PM
1/8" isn't far enough; I think the input shaft is hitting the gear teeth on the counter shaft. Maybe the broken tooth is laying underneath? Or perhaps your false countershaft is too long and is hanging up on the case.

You don't really need the false countershaft when disassembling, so I might try taking it back out and trying again. You can also try removing the center bearing (the big bearing at the back of the main gearbox housing) so you can move the mainshaft around and maybe see what is going on.

donbmw
04-15-2012, 04:32 PM
When draining the oil one tooth came out. Had move the case every which way nothing else came out. Was going to shorten the false shaft some more and try move the main shaft back some also.

TexasKnucklehead
04-15-2012, 06:32 PM
I hope I understand you correctly. Once the couter shaft is pulled out completly, (after the keeper has been removed from the back side) the gear cluster should drop down until it rests at the bottom of the case. Then you can tap the main bearing from inside the case, to remove the input shaft.

donbmw
04-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Got everything apart now and get the parts I need ordered.