PDA

View Full Version : CD 2584 L

arizonamike
04-14-2012, 10:21 PM
This TR250 will now be living in Arizona. I'm excited and really happy. I reached a deal with the owner last week and will be heading to St. Louis week after next to pick her up. A very very nice car with overdrive. I would post a picture but don't know how.

I will be back with questions.

Thanks

Mike

glemon
04-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Congrats, as I recall you were thinking about a TR3 and 4A, both great cars, and ended up with a 250, I think you made the right choice :thumbsup:

Geo Hahn
04-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Oh man -- I am stoked to have this one heading to Arizona.

After a sale last year we have had no 250s in our So AZ club, look forward to seeing this one on the road.

As for pics, I can help...

https://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/Ahwahnee18/TR3/MikesTR2502.jpg

https://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/Ahwahnee18/TR3/MikesTR2501.jpg

arizonamike
04-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Thanks glemon and George.

Its been 37 years since i last drove a TR. I am anxious to get her. The owner is a great guy who's father once had a TR dealership and he is carrying on the tradition. He raced TR4's when he was younger and knows these cars inside out. He is a great guy. Makes it easier and gives me confidence in him the car. He has gone out of his way to help me.

He will fit the car with a different steering wheel that i want, a tonneau cover and a backup hood release this week.

So now i need some insurance. What do you guys recommend. I have an online quote from Haggerty, are they a good company?

Also, please tell me more about the overdrive transmission. Do they work well? Are they any trouble. How is overdrive engaged?

Thanks

Mike

Geo Hahn
04-16-2012, 09:13 AM
I use Hagerty and have also used Condon & Skelly. Both good companies to work with at claim time (based on friends' experiences not my own). Several otehr good carriers out there for these cars.

My choice of insurer was guided in part by a need to get a company that my main insurer would accept under my umbrella policy -- a consideration perhaps if you have one of those.

The overdrive is grand -- I really doubted that it was more than a luxury until I drove a few 500 mile days with it. I was wary of problems with it but upon searching the archives it seems that most of the issues related to electricals (simple though perhaps counter-intuitive) and adjustment (also simple). The units themselves seem to be quite robust.

I think the usual engagement on a 250 will be a second stalk on the right side of the steering column nacelle. Stalk on left for turn signals, stalks on right for lights & OD. In true British fashion it will likely be 'down is on & up is off').

HerronScott
04-16-2012, 09:43 AM
I think the usual engagement on a 250 will be a second stalk on the right side of the steering column nacelle. Stalk on left for turn signals, stalks on right for lights & OD. In true British fashion it will likely be 'down is on & up is off').

The overdrive stalk is a second stalk behind the turn signal stalk on the left (should be the same for TR4A's - TR6).

Scott

Geo Hahn
04-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Oops, thanks for the correction.

Geez -- made me look in the owners manual for the TR4 where I find that (apparently) my switches are reversed.

The manual says that for the TR4, both in the diagram and the text, the turn signal switch is on the inboard side of the column (i.e. on the right in a LHD car).

It would be really strange like that since every car I recall driving that had a turn signal stalk had it on the left side. Even Piggott has in wrong in his book.

HerronScott
04-16-2012, 08:00 PM
From what I recall, the turn signal was on the left on the TR4 (memory from a college buddies 1962 TR4) and the overdrive switch was on the right. If you did not have overdrive then you had a blanking escutcheon similar to what you can just make out in this picture.

https://www.mistycastle.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/TR4_Interior.jpg

This looks exactly like my friend's TR4 except no overdrive.

Scott

arizonamike
04-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Appears the OD and turn signal are on the left on mine

This TR250 has the original A Type overdrive tranny, so it is actually a seven speed i guess. I was told today that the different speeds a great on downgrades, and i can understand that. Of course the 4 high will be very nice. I will probably use it more than i think to keep the little six happy.

from what i've read today seems these trannys are strong, with electrical issues the most frequent problem.

here is a link that will tell you more about the A Type and J Type trannys:
https://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/jod/JOD1/JOD1.htm

i guess i will insure with haggerty.

What about dripping? This one drips "only very little". If its not the rear main seal or something, i can take care of it. But, is dripping an issue with any of your guys TR's?

Geo Hahn
04-16-2012, 09:49 PM
...is dripping an issue with any of your guys TR's?

Not an issue with mine -- they drip just fine.

BillyB62
04-17-2012, 06:55 AM
I was beginning to miss little oil spots on my driveway - so I went out and bought a TR3!

arizonamike
04-17-2012, 07:23 PM
it was a rear axle seal. They are replacing the seal today. So far i am very impressed with these folks.

TonyPanchot
04-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Not to Slam the gentlemen in Washington MO where this car is located but being a familiar with the area and other TR that have come out of this "dealer"
BUYER be AWARE, that's all I am saying. Mr Charlie is overpriced and slippery.

JerryVV
04-18-2012, 12:19 PM
OD switches on TR4 are on right of column. Changed on TR4A thru TR6 to left of column behind the turn signal switch. These are available. The TR4 switches may not be available. Difference is TR4 is a straight handle and the TR4A and up are bent slightly.

Geo Hahn
04-18-2012, 01:58 PM
OD switches on TR4 are on right of column...

I agree, Bill Piggott agrees, also makes more sense. Only dispute seems to be the TR4 owners manual (which has a specific pic of the LHD layout showing the opposite orientation. I think they didn't speak good American.

arizonamike
04-18-2012, 08:08 PM
https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x341/mltiema/DSC04546.jpg

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x341/mltiema/tr250.png

M_Pied_Lourd
04-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Thats a beauty Mike.

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd