PDA

View Full Version : Old Radiator fluid

GBRandy
04-12-2012, 05:12 PM
So... after you do a radiator flush, what do you guys do with the old radiator fluid?

My wife gets mad when I flush it down the toilet (I kid... I kid....)

Seriously, is there a recycling option for this stuff? Proper disposal plan?

CJD
04-12-2012, 05:17 PM
I have searched, but no luck. The most echo-friendly I have been able to do is to spread it on the drive to evaporate. I'll be interested to hear if anyone has round a company that will re-cycle it...

John

Darrell_Walker
04-12-2012, 05:21 PM
I guess we are lucky, we get curbside recycling for stuff like this (old oil, old antifreeze, florescent tubes, etc).

We can also drop it off at the transfer station (can't go directly to the "dump" anymore).

Maybe worth checking with whoever deals with your trash/recycling?

elrey
04-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Our county landfills accept antifreeze as county Household Hazardous Waste facilities, up to 15 gallons a visit. It is then shipped to be recycled.

JodyFKerr
04-12-2012, 05:28 PM
It can/may be illegal to dump where you live.

Check with your city/town. We have a program similar to what Elrey mentions. All my old brake fluid & coolant goes there.

Other options are checking with local auto shops/dealerships/FLAPs. Some of them may accept it from you.

Darrell_Walker
04-12-2012, 05:30 PM
https://www.ci.green-bay.wi.us/publicworks/operations/HazardousWaste.html

https://fortworthtexas.gov/env/hazardouswaste/

JFeher
04-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Try this.

https://search.earth911.com/?what=Antifreeze&where=brillion

KSIS
04-12-2012, 05:37 PM
I believe your local FAP has to take it back once you purchase a new gallon.

booley
04-12-2012, 05:47 PM
My wife gets mad when I flush it down the toilet (I kid... I kid....)

i just leave it out in a shallow pan in the backyard, the neighborhood animals love it's taste

(I kid...I kid...)

CJD
04-12-2012, 06:22 PM
I believe your local FAP has to take it back once you purchase a new gallon.

I think that's a state/local law. TX is running behind much of the country...They won't take it here.

Brosky
04-13-2012, 12:39 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]TX is running behind much of the country...They won't take it here.[/QUOTE]

But you have no stray cats to contend with either, do you?

I kid, I kid, I kid.....

TR3driver
04-13-2012, 01:06 PM

Kidding aside, has anyone ever actually seen an animal attracted to the stuff? Both my dog and the neighbor's cats don't seem to have any interest whatsoever in used coolant. And it tastes really nasty to me.

Ethylene glycol actually bio-degrades quite rapidly; the main way it harms the environment is by using up the available oxygen in open water.

GBRandy
04-13-2012, 01:49 PM

And it tastes really nasty to me.

Ar the risk of getting a real answer.... Have you ever tasted cat or dog food?

TR3driver
04-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Ar the risk of getting a real answer.... Have you ever tasted cat or dog food?

Well, let's just say that I know it tastes a lot better than used coolant... :smile:

GBRandy
04-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Gahhhh! I KNEW IT!

blech....pittuee :smile:

booley
04-13-2012, 04:26 PM
Kidding aside, has anyone ever actually seen an animal attracted to the stuff?

i was always under the assumption that animals were attracted to it because it tasted sweet to them. somebody told me sometime or another never to leave it a drainpan for that reason...

never wanted to taste it myself, but having driven a few cars with leaking heater cores, doesn't the stuff have a somewhat "sweet" aroma? (gives me a headache just thinking about it)

Darrell_Walker
04-13-2012, 04:36 PM
never wanted to taste it myself, but having driven a few cars with leaking heater cores, doesn't the stuff have a somewhat "sweet" aroma? (gives me a headache just thinking about it)

I had some of the "yellow" stuff splash me in the face, and some got on my lips. Tasted pretty bitter to me. Perhaps the "green" stuff is different?

Anyway, I recalled that alcohol somehow was the antidote, so had a glass of wine :smile:

-Darrell

LexTR3
04-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Don't leave it out for animals to drink. It is poisonous to them. It will kill a dog fast!

Many localities have hazardous waste pick-up days when you can take antifreeze, paint, etc., etc. for proper disposal.

You can also check in the Internet for locations in your vicinity that take old antifreeze. Sometime Farmers Coops take it.

But.... not for animals.

Darrell_Walker
04-13-2012, 04:47 PM
BTW, I looked up Ethylene glycol poisoning on Wikipedia.

Ethanol does indeed block you from metabolizing antifreeze, and it is the metabolites that are poisonous. But I think you need some other process to actually remove it from your system. Or keep up your ethanol intake :smile:

Many antifreezes have a bittering agent (Denatonium benzoate) added.

TR3driver
04-13-2012, 04:55 PM
never wanted to taste it myself,
Me neither! But I have been both sprayed in the face and had it drip into my mouth while working under the car.

I believe an animal might drink it, if they were very thirsty. But the wife accidentally let the family dog into the garage once while I had a pan of it sitting on the floor (was in the middle of changing a head gasket, planning to reuse the coolant). I was all prepared to yell at her (the dog, not the wife) but the dog looked at the coolant, got close enough to smell, then turned and looked somewhere else. Then she came over for a pat on the head and went back into the house.

Brosky
04-13-2012, 09:20 PM
I have seen a neigbor's cat die from it many years ago. It was pretty sick before the vet put it to sleep. His wife was really PO'd at him for letting the stuff lay around because she loved that cat, probably more than him. He apologized a lot and they never got another cat.

He always seemed a bit happier after that whole episode faded away.

I'm just sayin.....life does go on.....

But it is not good for anyone who has strays in their neighborhood to leave it lying around. And probably against the law too. These days animals have more rights than people, so you could easily get sued. And God forbid a child get near it....

PeterK
04-13-2012, 09:44 PM
It shuts their kidneys down. Hard death. ISTR reading that the makers changed their formula (not sweet anymore) to deter pets from drinking it.

tr8todd
04-14-2012, 07:06 AM
In the winter time the mice like to get into my nice warm garage and into the basement of my house. I like to leave out a five gallon bucket with about a gallon of antifreeze in the bottom. Then I set up one of those drive on car ramps used for oil changes in the driveway next to it. The mice climb the ramp and jump into the bucket, where they drown. It works very well, so mice at least are attracted to the sweet smell of antifreeze. Started doing this one year after I found a mouse had gotten into my racing gear bag. It would seem that mice are fond of Nomex. The little guy ate a hole in the back of a $600 race suit, and tore out the lining in a brand new pair of driving shoes. He didn't touch the old pair I had in there. Guess that says something about my smelly driving shoes.