PDA

View Full Version : Royal Purple Oil

vettedog72
02-26-2005, 07:59 AM
I hear a lot about Royal Purple oil as being the absolute best oil. Even though it is a little pricy, I have bought several cases for a Camaro, as, according to club members, Royal Purple is the ultimate oil on the market. There is little to no build up on the rockers or in the oil pan with 80k miles. I have used Castrol in the TR6 and found the rockers, springs etc got a pretty good build up of black crust over the years. The pan was pretty cruddy/sludgy after 60k miles too. I recognize that many factors are involved with crusty sludgy build up but because of the cost, I would prefer to use conventional oil in the TR6 and freshen the engine when it needs it. Is anybody using Royal Purple in his TR6 with good results?

trboost
02-26-2005, 03:37 PM
I haven't used Royal Purple, but have spoken to a friend who owns a speed shop. He says it's great for the track but he thinks it's to pricey for street use. He recomends Valvoline full synthetic for street/mild strip use. I would say that as long as you change your oil every 2,500-3,000 miles you'd be safe with whatever you used.

Rabid_Dolphin
02-27-2005, 03:49 AM
The only hesitation I have with using full synthetic oils in aged vehicles is that there is such a large discrepancy in molecular scale. Synthetic oils like Mobil 1, Valvoline, and Royal Purple are much smaller particles on a molecular level. Newer engines are manufactured to much tighter tolerances than older engines. The synthetic oils are more capable of flowing into these tighter tolerances. IMO it's asking for oil to be where you don't want it with wider tolerances. I'm running a 0W40 Mobil1 in my Camaro right now. Would I run something that like that in the TR6? Probably not. I too think Royal Purple is a great oil, but a little pricey. It ran great and showed zero visible signs of breakdown after 3,500 miles. It was still purple when it came out and felt as viscous as when it went in. Iwould be interested to see a long term particulate study on it, but I have a lot more info on Mobil 1.