PDA

View Full Version : solenoid without a button

sp53
04-05-2012, 08:57 PM
This is one of those post that I would I think I should know answer, but no. Anyway if I have a solenoid without a button on the back and I want to hook up a remote start button switch, can I just go across the two big lugs or will that draw too much and damage the remote button.

JImEgan
04-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Do not jump the two lugs! Connect your remote switch between the + battery terminal and the terminal on the solenoid that connects to the igntion switch. Not sure what color that is on a TR3.

TR3driver
04-05-2012, 11:12 PM
:iagree:

Your switch won't carry full starter current, so connect from the hot to the small side terminal. That will actuate the solenoid, which can handle the current.

Geo Hahn
04-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Connect your remote switch between the + battery terminal and the terminal on the solenoid that connects to the igntion switch. Not sure what color that is on a TR3.

Unless your car is still positive ground. In that case the connections are the negative battery terminal and the ignition switch terminal (it's the red/white wire).

But real sure the gearbox is in neutral.

sp53
04-06-2012, 10:11 PM
I cannot get this today. I must be getting old. So I hook up the remote start button like suggested and the car starts up when I turn the key on and hit the button. The good news is the starter motor is working, but did I just go around the solenoid and it still could be defective. So, I really have not totally isolated whether the ignition or solenoid are faulty only that the starter works.

TR3driver
04-06-2012, 10:32 PM
If you hooked the remote start button to the side terminal, then you have proved that the solenoid works.

My next step would be to jumper directly across the terminals on the starter switch on the dash (with the key on). If that makes it crank, then the starter switch is bad. If not, try jumpering to a known 'hot' source, like the ignition switch. If still no crank, then there is a problem with the WR wire from the dash switch to the solenoid.