PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Trim Replacement

Alex_McMillin
04-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Hello,

I am in the middle of replacing the windshield trim on my TR4 and was wondering if I can use Permatex Black silicone between the rubber trim and the windshield frame? Should I apply some between the trim and glass too? Also, any tips you may have for re-installing the glass with the trim in place would be appreciated. I think it's going to be more difficult than the removal process.

.......Thanks, Alex

JerryVV
04-03-2012, 02:38 PM
BEST ADVISE IS TO CALL A GLASS GUY

JImEgan
04-03-2012, 09:09 PM
BEST ADVISE IS TO CALL A GLASS GUY

I am a glass guy (glazier) and I agree. They have all the tools and the proper sealants

Jim

JerryVV
04-04-2012, 05:25 AM
Also my experience with an original windshield or one that is several years old is that the break easily. BTDT.

3798j
04-04-2012, 07:04 PM
With the aid of two friends (they pressed the the trim strip on the outside,while I pulled the cord from the inside), I installed the windshield, gasket and trim strip following the instructions in the GT6 shop manual (it's the same windshield as the TR4,4A,6). No sealer was used, although Armor All was sprayed as a lubricant. No problems were encountered - although the trim was a little tricky to stick in around the upper corners. It honestly wasn't that big of a deal.

JerryVV
04-04-2012, 07:58 PM
You got lucky. I did a Surrey top rear windshield when I didn't know any better and was lucky too. Thinking the windshield would be easier I attempted it as well. Broke it. Called a glass guy for the new one and he did it with ease. I'll never try again.