PDA

View Full Version : It followed me home! I swear!

JodyFKerr
03-31-2012, 04:01 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-dBNeES6MEFE/T3dvUvZmkpI/AAAAAAAGk4w/jxsjBzNeuj0/s640/IMG_20120331_120639.jpg

I stumbled across this a while back while looking for my daughter's first car ('70 MGB). I offered the guy a fair price, which he wasn't terribly interested in accepting. Told him it was a standing offer.

Fast forward a month or so and I get a call accepting my original offer after having had, so I was told, a different offer of a higher value flake on him and never show. Borrowed a pair of decent TR8 rims/wheels to offset the lack of wheels at the rear of the vehicle. Dragged it home and dropped it off in the cleaning area.

Things I know before diving in: rear wheels were stolen at some point (likely for the brand new tires that were on them), battery and radio was stolen at the same time. There appears to be decent clutch/brake pressure (which I was surprised at), engine compartment looks tidy, interior is in great shape from being garaged. There is some damage to the dash and wiring from the radio theft.

Also, the fellow didn't have the trunk/glovebox key. Both are locked, so I'm going to have to figure out how to get them open.

Dale
04-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Looks Like a pretty good score, Jody. What is it? 7 or 8? Rear wheels say 8.

John_Mc
04-01-2012, 02:54 PM
I don't know what you paid for it, but it was worth it! Looks like a great starting point. Post some post wash/wax pics when you get a chance. I'm assuming this is a 7 and not an 8, correct?

DNK
04-01-2012, 04:12 PM
When things followed us home,...my dad would take it out behind the woodshed and shoot it.

M_Pied_Lourd
04-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Your Wife must have been very worried Don....

Cheers,
Tush

DNK
04-01-2012, 06:09 PM
:lol:
Well,... never thought of it that way.
Must have been a good day for her

JodyFKerr
04-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Dale,

It's a 7. It only had one wheel that fit properly, and one wheel that fit improperly. I borrowed the TR8 rims to throw on the back so that I could get it home.

Jody

JodyFKerr
04-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Here's what I could see after throwing some cleaner/degreaser in the power washer and going to town.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-3HZStoOXVt4/T3eNJl1PctI/AAAAAAAGk6A/YYI17kZhtOo/s640/IMG_20120331_160006.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-IxGDXp1x95Y/T3eMcQusIBI/AAAAAAAGk58/_nXXATFoOs8/s640/IMG_20120331_155919.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-GP0aEC9YkhM/T3eMkhh6uBI/AAAAAAAGk58/-6KM2JTTSP0/s640/IMG_20120331_155948.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GsAX1AuHJyk/T3eMp1ISBnI/AAAAAAAGk58/qgx_60ZZIUc/s640/IMG_20120331_155937.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jQn_4y1k0iQ/T3eM2Jl_Y1I/AAAAAAAGk58/wzx8vAumYfA/s640/IMG_20120331_155929.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-FaCt9V9mScg/T3eNF4OnVWI/AAAAAAAGk58/kG7z0NiFJBk/s640/IMG_20120331_160011.jpg

DNK
04-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Is it a fuely?

JodyFKerr
04-02-2012, 12:04 AM
Is it a fuely?

yup!

tdskip
04-02-2012, 08:43 AM
Body solid?

JodyFKerr
04-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Body solid?

From what I could see, yes. It has been an AZ car for a long time. But, it was sitting on four flat tired in the garage I pulled it out of, so it was really hard to see underneath the car.

1980_TR8
04-02-2012, 02:43 PM
It might be a Spider. The seat covers aren't original, but it looks to have the grey carpet used in the Spider. I believe the Spider VINs for a fuel injected car would be in the TPZDJ8AA400xxx-401xxx range. On the door plate it should have a paint code of PCF (Black Marashino) and a trim code of RAF.

If it is a Spider and you want to bring it back to spec, on occasion Spider wheels (TR8 wheels painted silver with an 'S' stamped after the part number) and the red reflective Spider decals/striping come up on eBay or CL. Unfortunately, the original upholstery itself is next to impossible to get. It didn't hold up very well and no one makes reproductions.

Brent

justin_mercier
04-02-2012, 02:46 PM
I just sold a set of TR7 spyder wheels along with my TR7 last fall. The wheels were not in use, as I had a new set of TR8 alloys on the TR7 at the time, but if you are looking for TR7 wheels I can put you in contact with a fellow who has original ones with the S part number.

JodyFKerr
04-02-2012, 03:14 PM
It's funny, I hadn't even checked the door plate.

It turns out it *is* a Spider!

Jody

JodyFKerr
04-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Oh, is it the only real difference between the TR8 rims and the Spider rims is teh "s" on the part number and a larger center hole to fit over the TR7 hub?

Darrell_Walker
04-02-2012, 04:24 PM
I don't think the hubs between the 7 and 8 are any different, are they?

I think the Spider wheels were painted a slightly different color (brighter silver rather than the 8 wheels that have a bit of a greenish tinge).

justin_mercier
04-02-2012, 04:25 PM
the center hole is the exact same size. The difference is the color (metallic silver for the spyder, more of a gold color for the TR8) and the S stamp saying it's a spyder part.

JodyFKerr
04-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Interesting. I had a lot of trouble fitting the TR8 wheel on the TR7. I'll have to try again.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-5WCPBZ5A-XA/T3-QuMKY_YI/AAAAAAAGk8Q/u_5tyxlczak/s640/IMG_20120406_174829.jpg

Some of the under dash wiring got damaged when the radio was stolen. Now I'm trying to clean up/identify this segment of the wiring harness. It appears that most of the RW and Black wires related to illumination lights. The purple I *think* is the cigarette lighter (at least one of them). No clue what the OB or BO wire goes to.

If anyone can provide corrections/comments I'd greatly appreciate it. I failed at finding a couple items in the wiring diagram.

tdskip
04-07-2012, 09:18 AM
Do you have the factory manual? If not I can look up codes for you later.

JodyFKerr
04-07-2012, 10:09 AM
I have the haynes manual for the car (came with it) and was using the 1980 US FI wiring diagram.

The main concern was that I couldn't locate the orange/black or black/orange wire on the diagram at all. The purple that I found doesn't explain 2 purple wires.

Jody

tr8todd
04-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Jody, I have an 80 carbed TR7 convertible parts car out back now. It is a 41,000 car that sat outside since 86. Bad bad rust issues. Nearly done parting it out, but if you need anything I'll be happy to pull it and send it out. Most of the trim pieces are set aside for Kathy to help her out with all of the missing parts on her car after that fiasco with the wedge shop. Dash is out and all of the wiring is still there. I only pulled the dash because it was a non ac car and I wanted to see exactly how the heater control valve is arranged on a non AC vs an AC. All of the AC valves leak and the valve is NLA. And yes, TR7 and TR8 hubs are the same. Bolt on rotors are the only difference. Rust build up on the center bore along with corrosion/paint on the wheels will sometimes make them sticky. A little sand paper will take care of it.

JodyFKerr
04-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the offer Todd!

I did confirm last night that the TR8 rims fit. I was either in too much of a hurry or there was just enough rust to make the one rim not fit. So, I have some options now, if the 8 gets going first, the fancy rims/tires will go on it. If the 7 gets going first, it'll get the rims. :smile:

So far the only things I've identified as obviously missing are the bits for the battery hold down. The A/C center console on the 7 is really badly cracked. I'm going to have to figure out what to do about that.

any ideas on those wires? The bit that worries the most at the moment is the two purple wires that are poorly soldered together. I can't think of any reason why they'd run two wires to nowhere and then connect them. I'm assuming it's a DPO item for now.

Once I get done with today's honey do (staining new cabinets for her laundry room) I'm planning on pulling the plugs, draining the oil and seeing if the motor spins freely. If it does I'll throw the plugs back in, new oil, drank any gas that may be in there and see if I can get it to start.

Jody

tr8todd
04-07-2012, 12:59 PM
The two solid purple wires crimp together into a female bullet connector and press into the center of the cig lighter. The red/white are all illumination wires. No clue on the BO wire. The only place I see that listed is no where near the center consul, but then again, I've never messed with FI wedges other than homebuild megasquirt turbocharged ones. I should have a few of those AC consuls around that I will never need. You want one in grey or black?

JodyFKerr
04-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Ok, so far, so good. Pulled the plugs, they looked ok. Drained the oil. Was nasty black stuff, but it didn't look like there was any coolant in there. Got a wrench on the crank and the engine spins freely.

So far so good. Threw some gas in the tank. Two problems. #1. No power to the fuel pump in the "On" position (there is in the "Start" position). #2. Fuel pump doesn't appear to be working.

I definitely need to get a better manual. This rubbish Haynes that came with the car is totally worthless. The wiring diagram (for the FI car, mind you) doesn't even list it as having a fuel pump.

eesh.

Jody

Darrell_Walker
04-07-2012, 08:57 PM
So far so good. Threw some gas in the tank. Two problems. #1. No power to the fuel pump in the "On" position (there is in the "Start" position). #2. Fuel pump doesn't appear to be working.

If the FI TR7 is like the TR8, the air flow meter needs to detect air flow to provide power in the run position. You can reach in and press the flap to test.

I think Clay Thompson still has some PDFs of various manuals, at least for now:

https://public.me.com/jclaythompson

-Darrell

Silverghost
04-07-2012, 10:13 PM
.....drank any gas that may be in there.....

You might want to drain it instead....will prevent an unnecessary trip to the ER or MORGUE! :laugh:

Whew, I saw your later posts so I can see you must have drained it instead!! LoL

JodyFKerr
04-07-2012, 10:47 PM
.....drank any gas that may be in there.....

You might want to drain it instead....will prevent an unnecessary trip to the ER or MORGUE! :laugh:

Whew, I saw your later posts so I can see you must have drained it instead!! LoL

No, you use to it make Martini's. It's just like Vermouth. :wink:

JodyFKerr
04-14-2012, 06:29 PM
Did some more diagnostic work today. Tried the air flap, but there's no power going to the pump in the On position. Next step is to get out my dianostic wiring tools, but they're all in a tote buried behind a honey-do, so it looks like no more car work for me today.

booley
04-14-2012, 07:02 PM
does the fuel pump need to detect oil pressure before it gets power in the "on" position?

JodyFKerr
04-14-2012, 09:04 PM
I did some more muddling through things. The ignition switch is really sloppy. I recently helped fix another TR7 with a bad switch, it acted a lot like this one does.

Basically, once I get to my wiring test equipment I'll be able to directly test everything. But that means I have to go sand a coat of polyurethane and put on another coat to finish these cabinets the wife wants installed.