PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 SU choke linkage horizontal bar that connects

karls59tr
03-31-2012, 09:10 AM
the brass choke arms. I was just reading Joe Curto's article on choke linkage in the Classic Motorsports mag regarding the bar length. he states"If it's adjusted too short,it will hang up the jet on the front carburetor; if too long the rear jet hangs up in the "open" position, causing rich running." I was wondering if there was an ideal length that this bar is supposed to be or does it depend on how much slop there is in the rest of the system?

NutmegCT
03-31-2012, 09:35 AM
My two cents: there is "slop" built into the carb/"choke" system linkage in many spots - often to provide looseness so parts don't jam. I'm pretty sure Randall covered this in a post a couple years ago.

So I'd think individual setups would require individual "bar length" adjustments resulting from wear and degree of "slop". I just used my eyes to look at various sections of carb linkage, to see what adjustment of that linkage bar worked best.

Tom

TR3driver
03-31-2012, 05:27 PM
My opinion: adjust the bar until the jets are pulled down equally when the choke is applied. That should be well within the range where both jets return fully (or at least the bar doesn't keep them from doing so).

However, you need to separately check that both jets are returning fully. It's a good test to repeat from time to time. I just try to push each jet upwards; if it moves then it didn't return all the way on it's own.