PDA

View Full Version : another car?

NutmegCT
03-27-2012, 05:40 AM
I have to accept the fact that my ol' bones won't always be able to climb into my TR3. Medical issues over the last year have brought that to the fore. Not fun getting stuck under the steering wheel, or having a major leg cramp while driving, due to the angle of my right leg in the driver's seat.

So ... what classic sports car would a "slightly less limber" guy consider as the NEXT acquisition?

Thanks.
Tom

poolboy
03-27-2012, 07:34 AM
It's my opinion that what we consider classic sportscars were designed by and for lithe WW2 vetrans. We're too old fat and stiff, yet we shoehorn ourselves into these time machines as long as we can and then some.
Maybe the most practical thing to do is consider a touring car or a future classic.

shining_armor
03-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Have you considered a smaller steering wheel? This would allow easier ingress and egress, as well as allowing you to move your right leg at times. I'm 6'6" and 225 and drive a Spitfire, on which I installed a Momo wheel under 13" in diameter.

Ernie Knight

Geo Hahn
03-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Having tried Bugeyes, E-Types and (worst of all) Lotus for access and egress I would have to say that the TR3A is about a good as it gets among LBCs. For me it is a matter of how tightly I have to bend the left knee to enter. I have moved the seat rails a bit to be able to get the seat as far back as possible, could go farther if I didn't have the occasional seat. I did flip the dipper switch bracket 180* to gain some left leg room.

NutmegCT
03-27-2012, 03:44 PM
This is all very good info. I'd never have thought the TR3 was so positive in the driver space realm.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Tom

John_Mc
03-27-2012, 04:28 PM
What about a TR8? I've never driven one, but everyone says how nice of a driver they are. I know I'D like one!

DNK
03-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Actually might be harder to get in.
There is plenty of room, but once you sit in one you realize how low they sit

Darrell_Walker
03-27-2012, 04:47 PM
As an owner of both a 4A and an 8, the 4A is definitely easier to get in/out of. The 8 is lower, but with much higher/wider sill. Once you get in, the 8 is a bit more roomy, however.

DNK
03-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Ya need an escalator to get out sometimes

Would think the 6 would even be easier than the 4 as I think it is a scosh more bigger

Mickey Richaud
03-27-2012, 06:29 PM
OK - I'm well aware this is the TR side, but I can tell you from experience, having restored and owned a TR3 and a TR8, our MGB's are both (roadster and GT) easier on these old bones.

I sold the TR3 partly for the reasons you are considering a change. Bought and restored the TR8, and enjoyed it, but it wasn't "classic" enough for me. The B's are a nice compromise.

DNK
03-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Traitor

You Aaron Burr

Mickey Richaud
03-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Traitor

You Aaron Burr

Calls 'em as I sees 'em! :jester:

drooartz
03-27-2012, 06:53 PM
I'll have to side with Mickey on this one as well. I did own a TR4 -- and it was less comfy than the B. If you want to keep things Triumph a Spitfire has quite a bit of space as well. More than my old TR4 did that's for sure.

They're all low, though, so if that drop into the seat is a problem then you'll have that with all of them.

Geo Hahn
03-27-2012, 08:05 PM
...I did own a TR4 -- and it was less comfy than the B...

I've heard a lot of adjectives applied to the TRs... but 'comfy' is one I have never encountered.

'Brutal', 'harsh', even 'punishing' are common descriptors for a ride in a TR3A, which is perhaps why I love it so.

Dale
03-27-2012, 09:04 PM
Check out the Jensen-Healey. Roomy cockpit, lots of legroom, sits higher than the TR7s and 8s. More of a classic look. One negetive that can be lived with is the limited door opening.

DougF
03-27-2012, 09:34 PM
Minis are another car that are very easy on the driver and passenger. It might not be what some would classify as a sports car, but fun regardless. Dealing with those golf cart tires is an issue.

HerronScott
03-28-2012, 06:36 AM
Would think the 6 would even be easier than the 4 as I think it is a scosh more bigger

Don,

A TR4 and TR6 should have the same space since the inner shell is virtually the same (same floor pan).

Scott

HerronScott
03-28-2012, 06:41 AM
If you want to keep things Triumph a Spitfire has quite a bit of space as well. More than my old TR4 did that's for sure.

My wife had a 1968 Spitfire and I have a 1966 TR4A and I seem to recall always feeling like I had slightly more leg room in the TR4A (which was important at 6'5"!) although the steering wheel size difference was obvious.

Scott

NutmegCT
03-28-2012, 06:53 AM
This is getting interesting. My first LBC (ten years ago) was a 1976 MGB. I fixed it up and enjoyed it for a few years, then sold and got my current TR3A.

Here's my original MGB:

https://static.corradoworld.com/pictures/1269/1976_MG_MGB.jpg

Now I wish there were an MGB around here I could try out to see if my ol' bones notice a difference. The "getting in and out" isn't that big a deal. Right leg cramping, due to inability to change right leg position during a drive is the problem.

hmmmm

Thanks.
Tom

drooartz
03-28-2012, 07:23 AM
Tom, I noticed more legroom in the MGB -- I'm 6'1" with fairly long legs. My TR4 used to cramp my knees a bit (Bugeye even more so) but in the MGB I can put the seat too far back and not be able to get the clutch in all the way. Worth a looksie if you get to the point where the TR3 doesn't work out for you anymore.

NutmegCT
03-28-2012, 07:38 AM
Maybe ... if I decide to make the switch, I'd start looking for a chrome bumper MGB.

I really do enjoy the TR3 - great 1950s body style. But having your right leg "go dead" while driving can be a tiny bit problematic. Doesn't happen in the Nissan - or in the ol' Mercedes.

:eeek:

Thanks.
Tom

drooartz
03-28-2012, 09:44 AM
I do have to say that I love the TR3. What a good looking car with a very strong motor. I've sat in enough of them to know that I just don't fit. Had the same issue with my Bugeye, in the end no matter how much I loved it I could barely walk when I got out after driving it. So I feel your pain here...

Jerry
03-28-2012, 10:34 AM
I think big people can fit in the TR3 but you need to get different seats. IE: sit on the floor and have a higher back to the seat and it is more comfortable and you will not be looking over the windshield.

Jerry
BN4, BJ8, TR3A

sd80mac7204
03-28-2012, 10:41 AM
My Spitfire is pretty roomy. My father has few problems getting in and out of it. Unless the top is up. Then he cusses the car out.

TR3driver
03-28-2012, 01:15 PM
I think big people can fit in the TR3 but you need to get different seats. IE: sit on the floor

One of the problems I have seen is that "rebuilt" seats sit a lot higher than the originals ever did. It's also worth noting that the "occasional" seat will limit how far back you can slide the front seats if it is installed.

I'm only 5'10" but I can easily get the drivers seat back so far that I can't reach the pedals. Even after I've deliberately made the clutch & brake as high as possible (I prefer a more straight-arm driving style). The previous owner evidently had the same problem, I found wooden blocks screwed to both brake and clutch pedals, to bring them another inch or two higher.

mrv8q
03-29-2012, 01:27 AM
I found wooden blocks screwed to both brake and clutch pedals, to bring them another inch or two higher.

Hah! The previous woman owner of my '3 had a wooden block on the clutch pedal as well. After driving it that way for a few years, I took it off, only to put it back on; guess I just got used to it. BTW, I'm 6 foot, and have plenty of leg room in the '3. Its the getting in and out that gives me trouble...

Silverghost
03-29-2012, 06:05 AM
Tom, from the other feedback, it may not be the car but the condition of the seat. It may well be worth checking the condition of the seat cushioning and having it rebuilt / modified. Much cheaper and easier to accomplish than buying another car. Nothing wrong with adding another car to the fleet of course! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

NutmegCT
03-29-2012, 06:19 AM
Peter - thanks for the suggestion.

The thing about the seat is, that it puts my thighs right under the wheel. Even sliding the seat back doesn't solve that problem. My knees are still on the firewall side of the wheel, so distance between wheel and seat is the issue.

Wouldn't rebuilding the seat make the seat *higher*? and thus make the problem worse?

By the way, the driver seat and passenger seat are both the same height and "cushion" feel.

Thanks.
Tom

EV2239
03-29-2012, 06:59 AM
TR3 Seats are spring based, which could be replaced with foam of a density chosen by you and cut and upholstered to suit you. Likewise the angle of the back rest can be changed and padding altered to support your back and avoid discomfort on longer journeys. All you need to do is find a helpful local trimmer.

Ash