PDA

View Full Version : Carb Rebuild

Anthony_S
03-16-2012, 09:48 AM
Hello, I was wondering if any of you guys and gals had any input on where to get a good master rebuild kit with all the seals and what not for the carbs on a TR3A. I know Moss sells them but was curious on others input.

Thanks
Anthony!

poolboy
03-16-2012, 09:54 AM
See what Joe Curto recommends. He'll fix you up.
https://www.joecurto.com/

TR4nut
03-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Ditto on Joe Curto. He just helped me with my TR4, great resource and I think his pricing is very competitive.

Mkutz
03-16-2012, 12:11 PM
I had bad luck with rubber o-rings -- ethanol was expanding the rubber and causing leaks. Went to SU made cork seals and everything is tip top. Stick with SU branded parts.

Also, a well known "rebuilder" rebuilt my carbs but the front carb was rich no matter how much I leaned out the adjustment. I took the carbs apart probably 5 times, until I figured out the jet tube on the front carb was a different length (about 1/16 shorter) than the tube in the rear carb thus causing a perpetually rich condition. Make sure the parts are homogenous between carbs.

poolboy
03-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Was this well known rebuilder known for his bling ?

DNK
03-16-2012, 03:16 PM
:lol: :devilgrin:

EV2239
03-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Here is the real deal

https://www.sucarb.co.uk/

TR3driver
03-16-2012, 05:02 PM
I had bad luck with rubber o-rings

What kind of "rubber"? I don't believe you can even buy a real rubber O-ring, and some synthetics are much more tolerant of both ethanol and gasoline than others. EPDM, for example, is very common in plumbing applications, but not compatible with gasoline.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPDM_rubber

Burrell22
03-18-2012, 09:05 PM
This past summer we got one from moss, but yea as above stay away from the rubber 0-rings if u can,ethanol/alcohol based gas will kill them, make sure to soak in oil real good :P

Anthony_S
03-19-2012, 08:21 AM
Did you get the master rebuild kit from moss? Are you satisfied? Im thinking I am going to go with that and also buy new needles.

PKPoole
03-19-2012, 09:58 AM
Anthony,
I use the Moss master rebuild kits. They come with the cork jet seals and I think they work a lot better than the rubber ones. Just remember to soak them in oil overnight before installing them. This keeps the jets free to move when the chock is applied. Good luck. PKPoole

LexTR3
03-21-2012, 10:37 AM
I just rebuilt two sets of SU carbs using Moss rebuild kits (note: they have a separate kit for the jet rebuild) and had very good results. I, too, used the cork jet seals, although they are a little thicker than original ones, and so far have had no trouble. Moss says that the new "rubber" ones are better -- surely they must be ethanol/alcohol resistant -- but I haven't tried them. And, yes, be sure to soak the cork seals in 3-in-one oil overnight before installing them. This keeps the jets free to move, but even more important: this makes certain that the dry cork seals don't break when you are putting them on the jets.

Anthony_S
03-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Does the Moss master kit have the cork seals?

LexTR3
03-21-2012, 11:06 AM
The Jet Bearing Kits that I purchased (#89 in the catalog, Moss 370-395) had cork seals. If you are just seeking to replace the seals, springs, washers, and jets, you won't need a master rebuild kit, in my opinion, because it includes throttle shafts and throttle disks, etc. If you are completely rebuilding the carbs, then you'll need the master rebuild kit or rebuild kit.

There are important items in the Jet Bearing Kit that are not included in the Carb Rebuild Kits. You need to check this out.

You might telephone Moss and tell them what you plan to do and they can tell you what you will need.

JFeher
03-21-2012, 07:15 PM
I've had good luck with these guys.

https://www.aptfast.com/

Burrell22
03-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Jet rebuild kit is seperate, however i am very satisfied with this product. Easy to use, just make sure to keep each carbs parts seperate and do one carb all at once, dont start and a week later try and finish haha

LexTR3
03-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Burrell22:
Good and wise advice: (1) do one carb at a time, and (b) do one carb all at once.

I would add:

(1) Photograph each carb from all angles before you start, and photograph each stage of the disassembly and reassembly. It's amazing how quickly one forgets exactly how some part fits or should look on the finished carb.

(2) Except for the worn out cork seals, keep all the old parts that are removed for a reasonable length of time, at least until you are sure that everythng is working right. This goes for almost any component you replace. You just never know....

Anthony_S
03-23-2012, 02:45 PM
All great advice and help. Thanks a bunch. The parts are on there way so I will let you all know how it goes :smile: