PDA

View Full Version : 1966 race start

ekamm
03-12-2012, 09:24 AM
I just thought that this was a cool vintage photo of a race start at the 1966 Ponca City Grand Prix in Oklahoma. More than a few Triumphs.
https://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s344/ejkamm/pcgrandprix.jpg

TomMull
03-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Nice photo, Eric, thanks. Seems about as I remember in the Northeast at that time; Thompson, Limerock, Bryar, Watkins, etc. Lots of Triumphs and MGs (is that an old Datsun in the back?).
I've noticed a change lately at the vintage circuits, however. While the Spits, 6s and 7s are still racing and doing well, the sidescreens have all but disappeared while the MGAs seem well represented. This is only race cars, the parking lot and show areas are full of nice sidescreen examples. Perhaps it's just a fluke?
Tom

TR4nut
03-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Nice! Any more shots from that event? Ponca City must have been hopping at that time, didn't think there was anything there except Conoco.

ekamm
03-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Ponca City Grand Prix ran from 1960 to around 1989. The race was part of a circuit that included Hallet and Lake Afton. It was certainly the event of the summer. I grew up a mile or so from the track at Lake Ponca you could hear the cars from my home. Spent many summers helping with concessions and track setup. They ran everything from mini indy cars to stock and an open modified where you could see stingrays and a Mclaren that was there every year. I stole the pic from a facebook group dedicated to the race. There are a lot of great pics there.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/124355177602941/

mallard
03-12-2012, 07:57 PM
I bet #72 won the race.

KVH
03-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Awesome shot. Anything from the 60's is a thrill. There are so many reasons why! Cheap gas, LBCs, Muscle Cars, no modern day worries. Please post more like that.

ekamm
03-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Ok KVH here's another that I found
https://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s344/ejkamm/PoncaCover.jpg

ekamm
03-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Oh and can your 3 do this
https://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s344/ejkamm/425314_2858488310744_1515737847_32291325_191666931 0_n.jpg
George England @ Aero Commander Plant 1965

TR4nut
03-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Great shot Eric! Where in the world did you find that one, any story behind it?

DNK
03-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Photo shopped

It's a flat parking lot
everybody knows a 3 won't do that! :devilgrin:

ekamm
03-13-2012, 05:04 PM
I'm trying to get the pictures owner to join the forum. The picture is of his father. Don't really know the story hopefully he will join in and tel us the particulars.

Papajack
03-14-2012, 12:58 PM
Thanks for posting the shot of my father Eric. I also drove the Family TR3A at Aero Commander. I inherited the TR when my father died in '06 but didn't start refreshing it until recently due to Estate settlement. It hadn't been driven since 1991.

As for the "Flying TR" shot, the Aero Commander lot is actually two lots on either side of the entry road. That created a "hump' running between the two lots. Launching cars was a common occurance if the gymkhanamaster ran the course across the hump.
It was quite thrilling to say the least.

The Family TR3A was a common sight at Oklahoma sports car events from 1962 through 1980 or so. Rallies, gymkhanas, concours, parades, it did everything but track racing. Sometimes all four family members (Mom, Dad, me and my sister) would drive it a gymkhana. The last time I drove it in "anger" was at the 1967 Midwest Division Autocross Championships. I had qualified in D Modified in a Formula V, but mechanical failure after the first run put me in the TR3A for the second run. I still finished second.

Besides the TR3A project I am documenting the history of Oklahoma Region SCCA, from 1949 through today. I have many photos of Triumphs to share.

pj

ps I am also trying to track dowm my personal TR3A I owned from 1965 through 1968. It was originally white with red interior, but I repainted it Ford Ivy Green, with black interior. It had yellow racing stripes across the hood and fenders. Can't find the registration papers. Anyone knowing the whereabouts of it please call me. I wonder if it still jumps out of second gear ?

ekamm
03-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Welcome to the site. As I told you before this is the most active triumph site that I've found and if you have a question or thought some one here has done it or seen it and will answer back quickly. I would create a new thread to ask the where a bouts of you old car. If you can find the commission number there are a number of ways to try and see if you can find the number registered some where.

TR4nut
03-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Yes Welcome and great story! Hope you can post some of those other pictures, would love to see them.

If you haven't tried, you might talk to the OKC or Tulsa Triumph clubs about your 3A. Better yet, get your flying 3A roadworthy enough to head up to Broken Arrow for the VTR Regionals in April. Would be great to meet you there but unfortunately I'm heading to Georgia for the Triumph roundup there on the same weekend.

Randy

BillyB62
03-14-2012, 07:59 PM
Stephen,

Welcome to the site. I'm fairly new to the site too, but look forward to hopping on several times each day to hear what the "masters" have to say. Owning an LBC is an awesome hobby, as I'm sure you know. The picture of your Dad is one of my favorite Triumph pic's yet - I'm sharing it with all my family and friends (although they are not quite as excited about the picture as I am). Good to have you aboard to share your experiences!