PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Air Cleaner

PSUTR3B
03-07-2012, 09:47 PM
I've driven the TR3 about 5000 miles since finishing the restoration and it is time to clean the air cleaners and re-oil them. I think I cleaned them in gas when I put it together. The manual says clean and soak in a mix of gas and parafin. I'm not sure what that mixture would be.
I'm interested in any experiences in cleaning and re-oiling the air cleaners. The other alternative is to buy new ones but that is not what I would like to do. Any thoughts are apppreciated.

Gary

TR3driver
03-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Ordinary gas will do fine (in fact that's what Practical Hints recommends).

Personally, I run TR4/4A paper element filters and just replace them when they get dirty. IMO the paper stops a lot more crud than the oily screen wire does, especially out here where we sometimes get a lot of very fine grit in the air (blown in from the desert).

PS, I believe "paraffin" is Brit-speak for what we call "kerosene" here in the colonies. Diesel fuel is close enough (when using it as a solvent, don't try to burn diesel in your kerosene stove or lantern).

TomMull
03-08-2012, 09:18 AM
Another alternative to paraffin is mineral spirits (pint thinner). I personally see no reason to add the gasoline. Although the paper ones work better, I do like the originals. Tom

Geo Hahn
03-08-2012, 09:45 AM
I like the originals but for daily driving in the dusty desert I use some home-made Koozies:

https://members.cybertrails.com/~ahwahnee/AC%20Koozies.JPG

Those I made from some foam I had, have since changed to ones cut from a Shop-Vac foam filter.

hondo402000
03-08-2012, 09:58 AM
unless you want to be original, K&N Filters are good, I alway purchase one when I buy a new car, saves a lot over time and when an OEM filters get up to around 30 bucks each.. and they are GREEN you reuse them

Hondo

TomMull
03-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Great idea!
Tom

TR3driver
03-08-2012, 02:03 PM
What I dislike about K&N is that every independent test report I've seen shows that they aren't as good at removing dirt as a paper filter. They do flow more air(as advertised), but more dirt as well.

For example:
https://home.roadrunner.com/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

Moseso
03-09-2012, 12:13 PM
What I dislike about K&N is that every independent test report I've seen shows that they aren't as good at removing dirt as a paper filter. They do flow more air(as advertised), but more dirt as well.

For example:
https://home.roadrunner.com/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

They CAN'T be an less effective at filtration than the original wires. I think those are only effective above house fly sized particles.

TR3driver
03-09-2012, 12:24 PM
They CAN'T be an less effective at filtration than the original wires.

Agreed. But I don't use those either, for the same reason.

6TTR3A
03-11-2012, 07:55 PM
<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="color: #006600">Randall,
Where do the "Ram-Flo" foam type filters fit into the survey? I'm not familiar with any brands listed except K&amp;N and AC-Delco. Are any of the others listed the foam type?
FRank</span></span>

Vaark01
03-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Gary,

For what its worth, I switched to K&amp;N and really like them.

Paul

jimstr4
03-12-2012, 10:06 PM
I have seen my TR4 piston rings after using K&amp;N foam filters for 20,000 miles and it was not good. My friend the engine reconditioner asked me if I was running the car without air filters, he showed me the pitted sides of the top piston rings and suggested I go to paper cleaners in the future.
Sorry folks those foam and wire filters are very poor at stopping anything but rocks going through.
Mind you if you only do 1,000 miles a year who cares.

mrv8q
03-13-2012, 12:48 AM
Mind you, if you only do 1,000 miles a year who cares.

Hmmm, I may care in 20 years....
At the same time, my car came with the original air cleaners; not much filtration there, either....

TR3driver
03-13-2012, 02:17 AM
<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="color: #006600">Are any of the others listed the foam type?
FRank</span></span>

The listed AMSOIL TS-123 filter was apparently a 2-stage oiled-foam design (which they no longer sell). So was the Uni UAA-123 (likewise apparently NLA)

The Baldwin &amp; Purolator filters were paper element. I didn't look up the others.

I've always thought this was amusing (from the early TR3 owner's handbook)

hondo402000
03-13-2012, 05:50 AM
I think it also depends on how much oil you put on the filters, not enough and I would believe some particules of dust would get thru, how ever I would belive the report, but I ran a KN filter on my 2003 4runner and when I sold it, it had 285,000 miles and was not smoking. I doubt I will ever put that on my TR6

Hondo

hondo402000
03-13-2012, 03:43 PM
and after reading the report again I doubt I will be driving thru a sand/dust storm anytime soon

Hondo

DNK
03-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Keep it off the beaches at Daytona, Keith

PSUTR3B
03-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Over the weekend I soaked and swished the filters in gas, three times each. Then I blew them dry and let them set a while. I then squirted 30 wt oil on and into the filters and hung them to drip out the excess oil, which was quite a bit. I intend to install them this weekend. I followed Don's method that I found on another site. After soaking the filters in gas, there was no effect on the paint. I did consider spraying carb cleaner on and into the filters but decided to stick with the old recommended method. After using the gas the filters appeared quite clean--in good nick as the Brits might say.

Gary

TFB
03-14-2012, 07:45 AM
I have been using k&amp;N for years on a few vehichles and liked them.They are a performance filter,engine performance,not filtering performance.
The foam wraparounds are similar to foam filters Mcmaster sells and come in I believe 60pores pre square inch to 100ppsi.I think the coarse ones are basically a pastic version of the original wire mesh,not much fine fitering.
After cleaning my shop vac yesterday,and seeing how everything whent thru foam pre filter(except dog hair) and totally loaded up the paper filter,and comments from you dusty road drivers,I think for the triumph I am going back to paper.
I also kind of miss just throwing away the old filter and replacing without going thru theKN procedure.
Have Fun
tom