PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Tranny

GilsTR
03-07-2012, 12:43 PM
This is not my tranny....but if someone is looking for a rebuilt TR3 tranny...this looks like a deal to me. Man who rebuilt it is well known here on "Left-Coast". Gil NoCal
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/pts/2887574556.html

Tr3aguy
03-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Looks like a good deal....wish I were closer....shipping would get me..

TR3driver
03-07-2012, 04:42 PM
If you need one, you might want to check out shipping costs, JP. Few years ago I had an OD gearbox shipped here all the way from the UK and the cost was only about $350. I believe within the US could be done much cheaper, especially if the seller was willing to deliver to Grayhound or Forward Air, etc.

TR4nut
03-07-2012, 06:57 PM
No offense, but I've given away two non-syncro boxes. I'm sure Herman has done a great job on the rebuild, but as a 3 syncro box I'd have a hard time justifying the cost. A lot of those boxes are sitting around after people went to 4 syncros. Admittedly not rebuilt but they are out there.

JerryVV
03-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Great deal if that's what someone wants.

TR4nut
03-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Absolutely, since the basic parts for a rebuild are about that amount anyway. But the key is someone wanting one - I don't think its too common a desire.

TR3driver
03-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Absolutely, since the basic parts for a rebuild are about that amount anyway.
Not to mention labor; Herman charged more than that just for the work. I'm pretty sure John Esposito does, too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] But the key is someone wanting one - I don't think its too common a desire. [/QUOTE]

Absolutely. In addition, that is the post-50K gearbox, so the originality nuts probably won't want it for a pre-50K car.

But IMO lack of synchromesh in 1st isn't all that big a deal. I drove a "crash box" for many years; and only switched because I wanted the sturdier housing from the later TR6 box.

Geo Hahn
03-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Looks like a good deal....wish I were closer....shipping would get me..

FWIW, last time I shipped a gearbox (almmost coast to coast) it was $100 UPS.