PDA

View Full Version : TR6 New Transmission parts for TR6

hondo402000
03-06-2012, 05:04 AM
I received the parts for my transmission top cover rebuild and the 1/2 selector fork is Bad, the hole thats machined for the shaft is drilled cockeye as noted in the pic, Here again parts not quality control checked before they get sent out to us. they were purchased from VB and a product of UK most likely made in India
If you notice one side is thinner than the other for the shaft hole and the back side is thinner just the opposite which means the hole is not perpendicular to the shaft forks

just more dissappointment and Hassel

Hondo

hondo402000
03-06-2012, 05:10 AM
I was wondering what you think about taking my spare forks, using my oxy/act torch and brazing up the spare forks worn areas and filing them back to Original specs. will the heating process weaken the forks?

Hondo

trrdster2000
03-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Hondo, why not try it or have a machine shop drill and re-bush one of your old ones, not a big deal for a shop.

Wayne

hondo402000
03-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Hi Wayne,
its the fork portion thats got a groove on it that needs to be build up and can only be done by brazing or maybe tig with a brass rod???

the is no rebushing needed of the hole where the shaft goe thru

I did call VB and they are checking into their parts inventor to see if the rest are all made the same way

Hondo

JerryVV
03-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Several years ago I tried building up a very large brass bushing for an industrial application. I did not have much success. The issue was determining the correct brass base metal and even with the right stuff we could not accomplish a build up in order to machine it back to size. Never tried that again. Seemed like it should be easy to do and it was not. Even led to cracking.

You might try but it's not likely to work. Why not look for a good used fork? I may even have one. Is it the 1/2 fork?

Let me know and I'll look later tonight.

hondo402000
03-06-2012, 03:49 PM
yes its the 1/2 fork, I have a spare transmission, the one I pulled out prior to the rebuild one, but its 1/2 fork is getting on the thin side too

Hondo