PDA

View Full Version : Clunky rear end

Russell Mack
07-30-2002, 03:18 AM
I have a clunky rear end, my '93 XJS not me personally (no email images/icons/smile.gif . Whenever I go over rough road it clatters and clangs. I also notice a lot of sideways slippage when I hit a bump on a turn. For a while it would creak like a old wooden sailing ship when I slowed to a stop right behind the drivers side. I know I need new bushings of some sort but don't know exactly what I need. Any advice?

Guinness Rules
graemlins/thirsty.gif

[ 07-30-2002: Message edited by: Russell Mack ]</p>

H. Vavrek
07-31-2002, 04:54 PM
Hi there!
From your description, I believe you can eliminate one problem I have encountered before. The problem ended up as a loose tranny mount in the rear-end...the symptoms were as follows-smooth when coasting but large/repetitive CLUNKS upon any acceleration by the driver...at first I thought the car needed a new rear-end but later, it appeared fixed (e.g. no more clunks) by replacing a rear tranny mount! If you do not have access to a Jaguar mechanic or someone of similar (trustworthy!) knowledge, besides posting here you may try calling Welsh Enterprises (1-800-875-5247), the Jaguar parts catalogue/warehouse as their salespeople are very knowledgeable (and patient) and can assist you in identifying the problem (AKA Lucasitis-not just an electrical disease anymore) or at least narrowing down the possibilities...AND...it is a great source for parts for your cat! Hope this helps! If not find a really, really big hammer...and... graemlins/hammer.gif
H. Vavrek (86 XJS V12)
P.S. Welcome to British Car Forum!

[ 07-31-2002: Message edited by: H. Vavrek ]</p>

Russell Mack
08-01-2002, 03:39 AM
Thanks I'll do that. Already tried a realy big hammer, hit my thumb and... images/icons/shocked.gif