PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Beautiful Restoration--TR3

KVH
03-04-2012, 09:19 PM
WOW. TR3s are getting up there!

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1961-Triu...7c423404c#v4-37 (https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1961-Triumph-TR3-gorgeous-freshly-restored-2-owner-original-California-car-/170794369100?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27c423404c #v4-37)

Marvin Gruber
03-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Probably better than new. Don't think I could drive it on the road.

Marv

luke44
03-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Hmmm. Not to pick it apart because it is a very nice looker, and I do like the light blue color, but no engine or underside pix? Seems odd.

On his website he refers to it as a 3B, yet it has a 3A serial number...carries the wrong colored nose badge, and I would think it should also have the later style narrow Triumph letters, no?

Missing the side curtain receivers on the door interior. No soft top frame.

Andrew Mace
03-04-2012, 11:04 PM
On his website he refers to it as a 3B, yet it has a 3A serial number...carries the wrong colored nose badge, and I would think it should also have the later style narrow Triumph letters, no?Some folks preferred the earlier badges, for whatever that's worth. You're right: it's wrong for a TS68xxx car, although that vintage would still have the ribbed letters. Lots of folk seem to think that any late TR3A is a "B"!? :rolleyes:

Missing the side curtain receivers on the door interior. No soft top frame.I have seen one or two original "hardtop only" TR3s that had no evidence that a soft top frame, etc., was ever installed, i.e., no holes in the rear inside panels for the screws to hold the folding frame. But that does not seem to be the case with this car, so have some items simply gone astray, or ????

EV2239
03-05-2012, 05:40 AM
They are selling for Substantial amounts in Europe now, most sound cars are around $30,000

Here's mine

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7059/6886349863_463e11e9fd_b.jpg

Ash

03-05-2012, 07:51 AM
Great pics under the hood and up on a lift.Not.Lack of pictures is usually hiding where the car is weak in appearance.

Geo Hahn
03-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Some pre-resto photos here:

https://britishsportscars.com/british-sports-cars-restoration-1961-triumph-tr3-b.html

...though still no 'after' photos of the engine bay.

We have a local owner whose has purchased a couple of cars from Peter and those are nicely restored where you can see and where you can't, so I suspect the absence of photos is more likely a lack of marketing savvy than a shortfall in the restore.

angelfj1
03-05-2012, 08:46 AM
Yes, cosmetically, but no shots of engine bay, or under. chassis, etc. I wonder?

luke44
03-05-2012, 09:49 AM
.... You're right: it's wrong for a TS68xxx car, although that vintage would still have the ribbed letters. ...

Hi Andrew - yup, you're right. I just double checked my reference material - seems the switch over to smooth letters took place around s/n 72000. So, yes, this one is correct.

Ash- nice looking car.

GilsTR
03-05-2012, 10:01 AM
This looks like a very nice car. It has been for sale on craigslist for quite some time. Looks to like a very nice restoration. We have seen several TR3's for sale in this price range this year here on the West Coast.
I think this seller may be the one who sold Darrell his TR8.
Gil NoCal

TomMull
03-05-2012, 10:05 AM
At 36k I think it's fair to be picky. (I'd be quite shocked if it brought that.) The commission number would, I think, make it an early 1960. The missing curtain receivers would make one wonder how much attention to detail was actually made. Also don't much like the miss matched interior.
The powder blue is really nice, though. Nice they didn't change that.
Tom

Geo Hahn
03-05-2012, 10:28 AM
You would suppose before anyone spent that kind of money they would examine the details mentioned here... but you never know.

A friend tells a story of sitting in an airport lounge in Vegas and overhearing a guy talking on his phone: 'Well, I don't know. You want me to pay a million dollars for a car without even seeing it?'.

luke44
03-05-2012, 10:29 AM
.... I suspect the absence of photos is more likely a lack of marketing savvy than a shortfall in the restore.

Possibility, but they also have Healey for sale on their website with lots of pix of the engine bay and the underside. Hmm?

Vaark01
03-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Enjoyed reading this thread. I agree that no pictures of the engine pay leave me wondering. I think this car was on Ebay a couple of weeks ago and did have a picture of the engine bay. As I recall, it was not that impressive and may have been black.

The asking price makes me think I have a $50K car.

Paul

Number_6
03-05-2012, 10:37 PM
There are some pics of the engine bay on their website. Shouldn't have to go digging for them to find them though. Looking at the pics they do have, it's clear why they don't show the engine on the auction. The engine bay doesn't look very tidy for $36K car. The engine bay is painted black, the engine looks messy and it looks like there are ripples or dents on the driver side inner fender. Not what I would expect from a car that is asking that much cash.

Geo Hahn
03-06-2012, 01:41 PM
There are some pics of the engine bay on their website... The engine bay doesn't look very tidy for $36K car. The engine bay is painted black...

The only engine bay pic I saw on their website was in the 'Before" shots -- when it was a mess. Are there also pics after the resto?

Tr3aguy
03-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Engine bay shots on the bottom right window (https://www.britishsportscars.com/inventory/details.php?id=8077354)

Not a 36 k car in my opinion.....but nicer than mine right now...

Geo Hahn
03-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Thanks, I didn't find that page before. I agree... another restoration badly let down by a poor job in the engine bay (and making everything else questionable).

Brinkerhoff
03-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Nice looking car condition wise. I guess I agree with you George (after seeing the engine bay) ,it does call into question how extensive the rest of the car were done but it could very well have been a $15,000 car to start with if it were as nice as they say and at $35,000 the owner isn't making any money if he had to pay a professional for the paint ,chrome and interior. I almost hope the market isn't ready for perfect TR3s at $50 grand, that would take all the fun out of one of these. I wouldn't pay a dime for the hardtop either, open air is the only way to go with a TR3, and that light beige interior won't hold up at all given any use. Isn't this a $25 grand car?

mtlman8
03-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Almost appears as if they were afraid to touch anything in the engine bay.

Vaark01
03-06-2012, 08:04 PM
I agree with the thread. This is not a $36K car in my humble opinion.

Paul

Marvin Gruber
03-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Didn't see the engine bay pics, figured it would be as nice as the outside. That wouldn't have been that much more to clean up like the outside. To me that kills the value at least half. Maybe a $15k car tops.

Marv

TomMull
03-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Not a good idea to draw conclusions from an eBay asking price. Most ebay cars go unsold with reserve or opening bid not met.
Not usually realistic to plan on buying any car, paying to have it restored, and making a profit either.
TR3 prices seem to me to have been quite flat since at least 2005. There was one notable exception in 2010 where a 3A went for 60k in Britain. Not sure, but I think that was one of Bill Piggott's exmplar cars for his <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Oiginal TR2,3,3A</span></span> book.
It seems to me that a TR3 would still have to be just about flawless to bring more than 30K.
My .02 (again)
Tom

Kleykamp
03-06-2012, 10:23 PM
I'm pretty sure banjo fitting on the carbs were long gone by '61. I don't think I will bite on this one at that price or with that interior on a blue car IMO. all looks suspicious to me. Wish mine looked that good though...sans the tan interior. Like the tan but not on a light blue car.

Brinkerhoff
03-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Cars that are priced right and marketed well still sell on ebay. Cars like this don't. Of course its not realistic to buy a car from a dealer then pay them to restore it for you only to try and resell it for a profit. That won't stop some people from trying.

Fairview
03-07-2012, 05:46 AM
Cars that are priced right and marketed well still sell on ebay. Cars like this don't. Of course its not realistic to buy a car from a dealer then pay them to restore it for you only to try and resell it for a profit. That won't stop some people from trying.

I agree 100%.

As a seller, I think ebay is the best tool available to get a good car sold at a good price. I sold my TR3B very recently and the response was strong. Even after the sale was done, I continued to receive inquiries, and at least one offer to buy for more money (but it was too late, car already sold).

As a buyer, it's been a long time since I've searched through the newspaper classified ads to look for an old sports car. Used to be an every Sunday morning ritual to look through the Washington Post studying those line ads, like this:

1959 Triumph TR3A- need to sell, some rust, was running when parked, blue, needs work. $3,500.00 OBO 703-954-2010 after 6 p.m. ask for George.

Remember those days?

For me, ebay has saved untold numbers of "wild goose chases". Most of us can quickly sort out the cars (and sellers) worth their salt.

Brinkerhoff
03-07-2012, 07:10 AM
Jeff, your Ebay TR3 ad was as good as I've read and you made it easy for the buyer to do business with you. It sold for exactly what it was supposed to sell for and I'll bet it was a clean deal.

Fairview
03-07-2012, 07:56 AM
Jeff, your Ebay TR3 ad was as good as I've read and you made it easy for the buyer to do business with you. It sold for exactly what it was supposed to sell for and I'll bet it was a clean deal.

Thank you very much- it is kind of you to say so.

TR6BILL
03-07-2012, 08:43 AM
I didn't see anywhere on their website where the body was removed from the frame. Strange, at that price. Unless I overlooked something.

luke44
03-07-2012, 11:16 AM
For what it's worth - an indication TR3 prices prices, after years of staying flat, have been going up... (https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vc=1335700)

Vaark01
03-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Wow,

I may have to sell my TR-3b,which is a number 1 car.

Paul