PDA

View Full Version : Fittings Sealer

DNK
03-01-2012, 06:36 PM
What is the sealer of choice for fuel line fittings that need a sealer of type?
Tape ...Paste...Brands??

TR3driver
03-01-2012, 06:56 PM
The vast majority of fuel line fittings should not use a sealer. But if you have tapered (pipe) threads, then IMO any brand of "PTFE paste" is preferable to any brand of tape. The popular 'Teflon' tape can form strings that sometimes get loose inside and cause problems.

Any hardware store (even the 'big box' ones) should have PTFE paste.

DNK
03-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Yea Randall, I have a few, actually more than that on the project 6 (NPT)

dklawson
03-01-2012, 10:25 PM
I agree that paste is better than tape. I don't think there is anything wrong with Teflon sealant paste but I use Permatex-2B on threaded fuel fittings. It is fuel resistant and non-hardening.

DNK
03-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Don't know if 2-B is still being made. Can't find it and Napa doesn't show it in their book.
When they click on it in their computer it comes up 2-C

TFB
03-02-2012, 03:31 PM
My preference in most cases for pipe thread sealer is teflon tape.I know it gets a knock for potential pieces becoming dislodged,but my opinion this is not an issue if applied properly,no overhang on thread front,tight etc.
This preference is based on using in industrial settings as a mechanic in oil refinery,and pharma reasearch facility on lots of expensive and sensitive equipment.
Teflon paste is good stuff,like Slick-tite brand ,and works great,and my pipefitter/mechanic buddies some liked it,some not.Its fast to apply but messier,not a problem for the occasional user,and drips if say used on a steam fitting,or something hot.
Permatex #2 is good also
Have Fun
Tom

dklawson
03-03-2012, 10:54 AM
My preference for pastes is also from industrial experience but apparently in a very different setting. When tape is used on the components in control circuits, there is always the possibility of thread shards plugging orifices during maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair.

Sorry to hear that 2B may be a thing of the past. I'll have to use the tube I have left conservatively.