PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR-3A door trim (photo please)

Arrow
02-26-2012, 12:03 PM
I bought rubber trim from TRF. Does it go just from the two end holes at the botom of the door? There is a hole along front of door just below hinge. I will post another photo on another posting. I can not seem to get 2 photos to post. Secondly how does the vertical rubber trim at rear of door go? I also bought from TRF, it is identical to the rubber they send me for the spare tire opening. Thanks for your help. I hope to have all the body pieces back on the car this week.

Arrow
02-26-2012, 12:05 PM
THis photo shows a hole at the front of the door below the hinge. Is that where the bottom edge rubber starts? Does it end at the last hole along the bottom which is not at the end of the door?

luke44
02-26-2012, 01:53 PM
Good questions Arrow. I hope someone chimes in - I also have this coming up in a few months. With all the pix I have of TR3's it amazes me the pix I need but don't have...

CJD
02-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Don't think it too hard...your door won't shut if you install it.

John

vivdownunder
02-26-2012, 10:56 PM
That rubber seal is usually too thick and once fitted the door won't close without a huge slam. It's a chore to try and thin the repro seal down to the dimension of the original.

The seal was held on with spring steel pinch clips that pushed into the smaller holes in the underside of the door. From memory the seal went slightly past each end clip, as designated by the row of small holes. I can't recall the larger hole at the front radius being used, but the last two cars I've rebuilt had the earlier square cornered doors.

Many rebuilt cars I see just dispense with those seals. I haven't fitted them and you don't notice any (extra) windage or dust getting in.

Viv.

Jesus
02-27-2012, 07:01 AM
Regarding the seal, I had a good result trimming a little bit of the lip. See attached photo.

Jesus

CJD
02-27-2012, 10:56 AM
After I tried every which way to make the seals fit, I finally compared them to the originals. The new TRF seals are about the same deminsions as the originals, but the originals will squeeze down to almost paper thin. The repo's do not.

Of course, having cut them to fit, they were not returnable. Learn from my mistake...the new seals do not work. If you close the door with them installed, the bottom of the door bows out and "springs" all the detailed alignment work you have done. I even tried shortening them to reduce the affect...to no avail.

I then tried triming them as Viv suggested. That still would not work for me...still didn't fit.

I recommend you get your money back before you trim them. I have a lot of brand new clips I also didn't use!?!

John