PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire rear window seal 76 spitfire

jollyroger
02-23-2012, 05:58 PM
What are folks doing about replacing the rear window seal/gasket in the factory hard tops? I looked at the prices and thought something was wrong...100 bucks for a rubber seal?
If this is what it cost I will cut some lexan and screw it in like I do my racecars.
Anyone want to buy my rear window glass?

Andrew Mace
02-23-2012, 06:30 PM
<$70 from Rimmer Bros, and <$80 from Canley Classics. Of course, either way you still have to have it shipped from the UK, so perhaps you won't save that much....

dklawson
02-23-2012, 07:32 PM
I bit the bullet and paid my $100.

Before emptying my wallet I searched all the restoration supply places that I could find for seals having a similar profile. The TR hardtop rear glass seal profile was not close to any of them. If anyone does find a comparable seal material I sure hope they post it here but I am not holding out any hope.

jollyroger
02-23-2012, 11:40 PM
I found some window seal that works on all the other tops. What I found on the Spitfire is they seem to use a seal for a front windshield that allows the glass to be larger than the frame.
I did find some stuff that would work, but I have to have the glass smaller than the opening to make it work. Lexan here I come.
Yes I found that the price is going to be 100 plus bucks for a seal. I refuse to be extorted.