PDA

View Full Version : Heat ah at least warmth.

Russ Austin
02-16-2012, 06:48 PM
After doing my dash and having my facia restored, I put the heater in. Wasn't easy (all the hoses and bits) so after getting engine bay hose for the left-hand side. I fired it up and let it run for awhile and turned the heater fan on, its medium hot to warm and blows pretty good. I'm happy!

Tr3aguy
02-16-2012, 08:22 PM
Where are the pictures???

Russ Austin
02-16-2012, 09:01 PM
OK Ok It was a little difficult because my hardtop is on but here's how it looks now. A couple of things of notice are the coiled spring wire for my horn (rack and Pinion) and the polished aluimium tab to help open the glovebox.

Russ Austin
02-16-2012, 09:13 PM
One other thing I did was fabricate an auxilliary switch panel for my driving light and fog light as well as my turn signals and then finished in crinkle paint.

glemon
02-17-2012, 01:10 AM
Looking Good :yesnod:

martx-5
02-17-2012, 08:34 AM
I did the same thing with the horn wire on my TR3 as shown in this thread. (https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/566166/Searchpage/1/Main/56981/Words/horn/Search/true/Last_Hurdle_w_TR3_Rack_Pinion#Post566166)

For the directionals, I bit the bullet and installed the MGA switch with the canceling timer in it.

PeterK
02-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Russ,

My heater rheostat has a slight detent in the off position. If I don't get it all the way in the off position, it drains the battery. So be aware of this. I now check.

Lookin' good.

Peter & Cathy

CJD
02-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Russ,

My heater rheostat has a slight detent in the off position. If I don't get it all the way in the off position, it drains the battery. So be aware of this. I now check.

Lookin' good.

Peter & Cathy

You can easily fix this. The heater taps off the back of the center instrument panel...just move the tap point to a switched (with the key) lug. I know the wiring diagram shows it coming off an always hot post, but most don't, for obvious reasons of battery drain.

John

EV2239
02-17-2012, 11:40 AM
The heater motor on my TR3A is the only thing on the car that's noisier than the exhaust! But it keeps the top of my left knee warm (it's RHD)

TR3driver
02-17-2012, 04:57 PM
I know the wiring diagram shows it coming off an always hot post,

Where is that, John?

The workshop manual specifies that the heater motor should get power from the "hot side of the wiper switch", (which is the "green" circuit, switched and fused), but obviously that is for early cars without self-parking wipers. It is my belief that the factory wired the heater motor to the hot terminal on the fuel gauge on the later cars; which of course is still the "green" circuit (and hence not hot with the key off).

PeterK
02-17-2012, 11:04 PM
I don't think that the po that rewired my 3A in all red wire paid much attention to details like that. But everything works ao I can't complain too much.

CJD
02-18-2012, 02:24 AM
Where is that, John?

You're right once again, Randall! I re-studied the diagram, and the heater is, in fact, supposed to be switched. So, if the heater blower works with the ignition off, it is always mis-wired.

John