PDA

View Full Version : trailing arm section

beez
02-17-2005, 12:30 PM
Has anyone replaced the trailing arm sections in their car? Mine are rusty and I'm looking to have them replaced fairly soon. My plan is to cut out the floorboard and then cut out the trailing arm section and weld in a new section. (I'm not actually going to do it, but instead a local tool guy.)

Any advice before I pursue this?

Thanks,

Adam

trboost
02-17-2005, 12:49 PM
Adam ,
Several of the TR houses have pre-fabricated repair sections. I would use them simply because the pick up points & fit would be more accurate. I would also considor at that time purchasing GoodParts adj trailing arm brackets to assure a perfect alignment after the repair.

Mitch
Unfortunatley , an all to common problem.

beez
02-17-2005, 07:05 PM
Mitch,

I ordered two new sections and I currently have the Goodparts brackets... great item! I brought my car to an LBC mechanic and he was going to repair the section, but just welded a small strip of metal to the back of the trailing arm... basically not helping at all!

This guy that I'm going to do the repair does some incredible work so I'm not too concerned with the job he will do... just the difficulty in doing it.

Thanks,

Adam

trboost
02-17-2005, 08:39 PM
You might considor a welding shop instead of an LBC mechanic. In this case the placement of the repair is straight forward but the quality of the weld & limiting the damage to the surrounding area is your goal. When I broke my diff mounts I used a local welder that has a good knowledge of working with auto chassis repair.
If the mechanic is both good with a wrench & a good welder you've got it covered.