PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A How to fill TR3 steering idler?

jwolff
02-07-2012, 09:50 AM
I was getting ready to use my grease gun to fill this but read that this should be filled with 90w oil or steering box fluid. Is there a tool or method recommended for this?
thanks

sp53
02-07-2012, 11:45 AM
I think you might have some misleading information. The fluid goes in the steering box and the idler arm on the opposite side gets greased. The idler is kinda like an arm that transfers the leverage from the steering to the other side. They can be very hard to lube because people do not maintain them and the grease hardens. Be patient and take your time. You might have to pull the fitting out and dissolve what is in there or perhaps push it out with some strong grease gun. But it really makes a big difference when you free the idle up if it is frozen.

jwolff
02-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Glad to hear that it gets grease... I'm in the reassembly process now on the restoration and haven't put the idler arm back on yet so I'll remove the grease fitting and take a look at the condition of the grease and clean out if necessary. thanks!

Jim_Stevens
02-15-2012, 07:01 PM
And, the steering box gets this really, really thick oil-- more of a grease really, which either Moss or TRF sells.
While you're at it, check out Revington TR for some improvements you could make to
the steering and front suspension-- Jim

TR3driver
02-15-2012, 07:35 PM
And, the steering box gets this really, really thick oil-- more of a grease really, which either Moss or TRF sells.

Actually, it is supposed to get ordinary 90 wt gear oil. The Penrite "liquid grease" is a band-aid, useful for when the box is so badly worn out that the seal won't seal any more. And IMO is part of the reason that TR3s have such a reputation for being hard to steer.

jwolff
02-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the information, I was planning on using 90wt gear oil.

TR3driver
02-16-2012, 12:53 PM
FWIW, I use Valvoline full synthetic gear oil. I can't prove that it works any better than any other 90 wt, but I think the friction modifiers should help reduce steering effort a bit. At any rate, when I switched to it in the 3A (along with rebuilding the steering box and eliminating the silentblocs), it suddenly became the sweetest steering car I've ever driven (without power steering of course).

The 3 still isn't quite as nice, but I'm working on it. Replacing the felt bushing under the steering wheel with Delrin helped it a lot. The felt replacement I stuffed in there the first time was too thick and didn't wear as much as I hoped.

CJD
02-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Randall...what did you replace your silent blocs with?

John

TR3driver
02-16-2012, 04:20 PM
I used a free-turning brass/SS replacement, that I got from Ken at British Frame & Engine (https://www.britishframeandengine.com/) . I also drilled & tapped for grease zerks, so they could be lubricated occasionally.

But today, I'd probably go for the Delrin/steel version available from Joe at ARE (https://the-vintage-racer.com//index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_ id=42) which shouldn't need to be lubricated periodically.

jwolff
02-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Thanks Randall,
I have some Redline 90wt gear oil sitting around... will that be fine for the steering box? I'm in the process of installing the Delrin/steel steering pins from Joe Alexander as soon as I can get the old steel sleeves from the original silent-bloc bushes out of the steering link thing.

TR3driver
02-16-2012, 04:50 PM
I have some Redline 90wt gear oil sitting around... will that be fine for the steering box?

Should be fine. Although if it is one of the xxxNS varieties, I might look for something that has the friction modifiers in it.