PDA

View Full Version : e type roadster interior

Paul
07-15-2002, 10:36 PM
I am in the process of replacing the full interior of my roadster. Does there exist a guide for the order items should be installed? Also, what is used as a replacement for the thick tar paper used on the outside footwells? Paul.

regred1
08-16-2002, 01:08 AM
Hi Paul,

After rereading your post, it sounds like you're looking for something that outlines the order of installation of interior parts. If so, sorry, I don't have that info, but can tell you it's pretty straightforward with the sill covers being first, then the A post mats and all the small vinyl parts around the shut pillars/rear quarters, then rear blukhead mat and carpet.

If you're looking for a source or a decent parts catalog, try British Auto USA: www.britishautousa.com (https://www.britishautousa.com) 800)452-4787

They have a nice 239 page parts catalog that I believe they will furnish for free, or possibly free with a minimal order. Anyway, this type info is in short supply so I recommend you get the catalog.

I'm unsure what "tarpaper" (I think that's what you said) pieces you are referring to, but again I'm guessing you're referring to the "A post mats" which are the sidewalls next to your feet. These are usually "Hardura" which is a pebbly, thick, sisal backed vinyl substance. This is the same material that is used on the rear bulkhead mat and the underdash mats on all years.

Steve images/icons/cool.gif

MikeP
08-16-2002, 01:49 PM
Actually I believe he means the sound deadening material that would have been glued to the footwells and floors under the carpet and jute mat. I'd say try a local upholstery shop and see what they use for that purpose.

Paul
08-18-2002, 09:38 AM
I hadn't thought of it as a sound deadening (on a roadster... sounds like an oxymoron) material but probably serves that purpose as well and I am off to a shop......... thanks. Paul.

Michael J.
08-23-2002, 10:56 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Paul:
I am in the process of replacing the full interior of my roadster. Does there exist a guide for the order items should be installed? Also, what is used as a replacement for the thick tar paper used on the outside footwells? Paul.<hr></blockquote>

I know of at least one car that has had urethane truck bed liner applied. Be careful not to exceed the thickness of the original tar paper

Paul
08-24-2002, 11:37 AM
I talked with John at east coast Jag about the tarpaper and he said any similar roofing felt will work. His comment is the primary purpose is to keep the "jute" off the metal as the jute can hold water and promote rust. His comment is that some are using the short nap outdoor carpet as a backing to avoid problems with moisture being held up against the metal. Paul.

Basil
08-25-2002, 03:13 AM
Something I have used with good success is called "VBlock". It is very think and very flexible and molds to any shape very easily. It has self adhesive stiky backing. Its main purpose is for sound deadening (and it does that very well too), but I think it would be a great substitute for what you are looking for. It is available at many stereo installation shops. Here is the manufacturer's web site where you can ask about availability on your area:
Cascade Audio (https://cascadeaudio.com)

Basil

[ 08-24-2002: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>