PDA

View Full Version : October Snow

Basil
10-28-2011, 08:10 AM
We had our fist snow yesterday. Looks like you folks on the eastern seaboard are due for a big blow this weekend.

Big snowstorm this weekend in North East. (https://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/56969/nyc-philly-boston-snow-versus.asp)

SilentUnicorn
10-28-2011, 08:38 AM
The view from my office window...

https://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/SilentUnicorn/DSCN1204.jpg

DrEntropy
10-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Ooof!

I want an Al Gore mask fer Halloween... :smirk:

drooartz
10-28-2011, 11:46 AM
We had some snow a couple weeks ago. Was 21F this morning. Brrrrrrrr.

DrEntropy
10-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Stowed the toys just in time, Drew! :thumbsup:

aeronca65t
10-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Going to Allentown PA tomorrow for a car club meeting. 76 miles, one way. I may have to put the top up on the MGB (I'm at work right now and it's sitting outside my building right now with the top down).

October snow is well withing the current, expected variance of weather conditions here in the northeast USA. Whether that will be true in 100 years is an entirely different question.

Basil
10-28-2011, 01:04 PM
October snow is well withing the current, expected variance of weather conditions here in the northeast USA. Whether that will be true in 100 years is an entirely different question.

Then there is this... (https://www.accuweather.com/blogs/newsstory/news/56993/early-northeast-snowstorm-dest.aspther.com/blogs/newsstory/news/56993/early-northeast-snowstorm-dest.asp)

<span style="font-style: italic">"From a historical perspective, the upcoming major Northeast winter storm could prove to be <span style="font-weight: bold">unprecedented in terms of its early arrival </span>in the season and the amount of snow it will drop."</span>

As for 100 years from now - they only thing I'm certain of is I'll be dead!

TOC
10-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Sorry, we can't find "www.accuweahttp". We suggest that you check the spelling of the web address or search above.

Basil
10-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Sorry, we can't find "www.accuweahttp". We suggest that you check the spelling of the web address or search above.

Odd - since it was a direct cut and paste. Anyway, try it now.

aeronca65t
10-28-2011, 01:47 PM
--Then there is this... (https://www.accuweather.com/blogs/newsstory/news/56993/early-northeast-snowstorm-dest.aspther.com/blogs/newsstory/news/56993/early-northeast-snowstorm-dest.asp)

<span style="font-style: italic">"From a historical perspective, the upcoming major Northeast winter storm could prove to be <span style="font-weight: bold">unprecedented in terms of its early arrival </span>in the season and the amount of snow it will drop."</span>

OK, OK, I agree....the fact that it's <span style="font-style: italic">unprecedented</span> does seem to point towards climate change. :laugh:

DrEntropy
10-28-2011, 01:51 PM
--Then there is this... (https://www.accuweather.com/blogs/newsstory/news/56993/early-northeast-snowstorm-dest.aspther.com/blogs/newsstory/news/56993/early-northeast-snowstorm-dest.asp)

OK, OK, I agree....the fact that it's <span style="font-style: italic">unprecedented</span> does seem to point towards climate change. :laugh:

<span style="font-style: italic">unprecedented</span>

Tell that to the <span style="font-style: italic">last</span> ice age that went thru there!

Basil
10-28-2011, 02:37 PM

No more so than any other weather record that has been set since records have been kept. And it is colder than normal vice other way round. Maybe there's a reason the script has changed in the media to call "it" Climate Change vice the previous vernacular.

Regardless, be careful if you're out driving in this stuff.

Basil
10-28-2011, 02:40 PM

Tell that to the <span style="font-style: italic">last</span> ice age that went thru there!

Shhhhhh! Before our time- doesn't count.

DrEntropy
10-28-2011, 04:22 PM

Shhhhhh! Before our time- doesn't count.

"We" were crossing the Bering Strait during that last one! Clovis points an' all that jazz! Managed to wander down to South America and meander'd across most of the northern hemisphere.

Intrepid bastages, these "humans"! :wink:

aeronca65t
10-28-2011, 05:32 PM
.......Maybe there's a reason the script has changed in the media to call "it" Climate Change vice the previous vernacular.

Hmmmm?......Others (https://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/climate_by_any_other_name.html) besides "the media".

But thanks.....I'll be careful out there. :wink:

apbos
10-28-2011, 05:47 PM
I hate to break everyone's "unprecedented" North East snow fall bubble. On October 31, 1986 (a Friday) more than 10 inches of snow fell on Prince Edward Island, Canada and it was not considered out of the ordinary. How do you say do you, a sun loving California Surf Dude know this. Well, that was my first date with my now bride of 23 years (while living on said Island). It is all a matter of the jet stream lottery. Thanks for reminding me, I now have to go get her a gift :thankyousign: :nopity:

Paul

10-28-2011, 06:50 PM
Ooof!

I want an Al Gore mask fer Halloween... :smirk:

:lol:

You owe my wife a laptop.

drooartz
10-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Stowed the toys just in time, Drew! :thumbsup:
That's why I did it, Doc. Been caught out prepping the bike in the cold and snow before. I may still be shivering. :smile:

Basil
10-28-2011, 10:10 PM
.......Maybe there's a reason the script has changed in the media to call "it" Climate Change vice the previous vernacular.

Hmmmm?......Others (https://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/climate_by_any_other_name.html) besides "the media".

But thanks.....I'll be careful out there. :wink:

Yes, I know all about NASA, James Hansen and all the rest. I'll be satisfied just to be sure my opinion is etched on my tombstone. Nuff said.

Basil
10-28-2011, 10:26 PM
I hate to break everyone's "unprecedented" North East snow fall bubble. On October 31, 1986 (a Friday) more than 10 inches of snow fell on Prince Edward Island, Canada and it was not considered out of the ordinary. How do you say do you, a sun loving California Surf Dude know this. Well, that was my first date with my now bride of 23 years. It is all a matter of the jet stream lottery. Thanks for reminding me, I now have to go get her a gift :thankyousign: :nopity:

Paul

It ain't my bubble! The only bubbles that are mine are when I ----- in the bathtub.

PAUL161
10-29-2011, 06:55 AM
We got rain, about 2 inches. You can keep the other stuff, we don't allow it around here! :nopity:
Well, let me put it this way, we don't WANT IT around here! :devilgrin:

10-29-2011, 08:55 AM
It's not going to snow in NH. My snow blower started on the first pull. Nothing to see,here. Please move along.

Basil
10-29-2011, 09:24 AM
It's not going to snow in NH. My snow blower started on the first pull. Nothing to see,here. Please move along.

Yep, that's almost a guarantee. It may snow everywhere else in NH, just not at your house!

DrEntropy
10-29-2011, 09:49 AM
Now I need to go see if my weed-eater will start on the first pull. :devilgrin:

vagt6
10-29-2011, 10:34 AM
We got a light dusting of snow here last night. I cannot recall the last time we had snow in October.

Ugh. I'm <span style="font-style: italic">never</span> ready for winter . . . :cryin:

DNK
10-29-2011, 10:52 AM
Now I need to go see if my weed-eater will start on the first pull. :devilgrin:

Now that is funny

Gliderman8
10-29-2011, 10:54 AM
It's snowing like crazy here... yuck!

DNK
10-29-2011, 10:55 AM
GREAT, soccer weather!

Gliderman8
10-29-2011, 12:44 PM
GREAT, soccer weather!
All my games got cancelled.... I was expecting the grass fields to cancel, but not the turf fields.
I just hope they call off tomorrows games as the fields will be muddy.
Heading to Richmond in two weeks for the Richmond Fall Classic.

3798j
10-29-2011, 03:04 PM
You know it can't be good if Jim Cantore is hanging out in your neighborhood (Harrisburg, Pa.). It looks to be 6-8" of heavy wet snow here in Central Pa.
The record snow fall for all of the past Octobers in our area is 2".

Gliderman8
10-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Heavy and wet alright.... just lost a huge tree behind my house. That makes two; one from the the storm Irene and now this one :frown:

startech47
10-29-2011, 03:51 PM
46% of the people in Warren County (Front Royal, VA) are without power.

Banjo
10-29-2011, 04:26 PM
I'm feeling very lucky. Here in the Fingerlakes we are still clear.

SilentUnicorn
10-29-2011, 04:39 PM
It is going to start her any minute......

m

coldplugs
10-29-2011, 05:59 PM

m

Hey, good luck with that!

DNK
10-29-2011, 09:33 PM
46% of the people in Warren County (Front Royal, VA) are without power.

Isn't that a normal day?

DrEntropy
10-30-2011, 12:33 AM

m

Thanks, John! Ya beat me to it. :jester:

SilentUnicorn
10-30-2011, 06:23 AM

m

Thanks, John! Ya beat me to it. :jester:

Darn lazy "E" lol

Getting to be daylight her(e). Looks like abut 4 inches fell. Calling for 50F by Wednesday. I will not even bother to shovel.

m