PDA

View Full Version : Old Dog looks through catalog

TR6BILL
10-26-2011, 02:36 AM
I was rummaging through a new dental catalog yesterday, checking out prices of equipment. HOLY CRAP, I would hate to be a new young dentist just getting started up. I kinda added up what it would take to equip a <span style="font-weight: bold">modest</span> office with new equipment and half a mil wasn't even enough. After 42 years, guess I will stick with film-style Xrays, etc.

Or consider Pop-a-Lock....

JamesWilson
10-26-2011, 02:44 AM
Gee... pliers and hammers cannot cost THAT much, can they? :devilgrin:

DrEntropy
10-26-2011, 06:20 AM
Likely why psychiatry is more popular than dentistry these days. :smirk:

JPSmit
10-26-2011, 06:42 AM
I was rummaging through a new dental catalog yesterday, checking out prices of equipment. HOLY CRAP, I would hate to be a new young dentist just getting started up. I kinda added up what it would take to equip a <span style="font-weight: bold">modest</span> office with new equipment and half a mil wasn't even enough.

Harbor Freight?

TR6BILL
10-26-2011, 06:53 AM
Harbor Freight?

Speaking of Harbor Freight, I met the assistant manager of our area H.F. the other day. We chatted about the business (I stuck my nose in there a few times, never bought anything.) and she said the secret to their success is buy cheap, sell cheap. The cheap part comes into play when the tool you bought breaks and then return it for repairs. She said they never repair anything, cheap enough to pitch in the garbage bin and give you another one. Everything.

I guess you get what you pay for, sometimes.

Billm
10-26-2011, 07:46 AM
I have had one HF grinder that is now 30 years old and still working fine but I have also had HF stuff that broke in 2 weeks, it is a total crapshoot!
BillM

10-26-2011, 01:29 PM
I was rummaging through a new dental catalog yesterday, checking out prices of equipment. HOLY CRAP, I would hate to be a new young dentist just getting started up. ..

The whole thing is a racket. Anything you can use to make money costs a fortune. The other part of the plan is too make the new fangled stuff obsolete in a few years.

Factor in "medical" and multiply by ten. No reason for any of this other than greed.

I don't know of any pop-a-lock guys who own any aircraft or expensive vacation condos. I have known a few dentists who do. :wink:

TR6BILL
10-26-2011, 02:00 PM
I don't know of any pop-a-lock guys who own any aircraft or expensive vacation condos. I have known a few dentists who do. :wink:

Not many. Funny, I know prolly 3000 dentists. None own aircraft.

10-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Aint none of 'em stavin neither...lessen their office is in England. :whistle:

10-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Don't get me wrong Bill. I think it's great you are willing to trade out goods and services for those who can't afford quality health care. My beef isn't with you persoanlly, rather the medical industry as a whole.

We are currently going around in circles with my wife's health. She is in constant pain. I'd gladly pay whatever the costs.....if they would just fix the problem and not treat it. It makes me angry my wife is being allowed to suffer needlessly for profit.

10-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Funny, I know prolly 3000 dentists. None own aircraft.

Man, that's a lot of people to know details about, much less in one profession! :shocked: That's a lot of Christmas cards!

I know maybe about 300 people. I can tell you what they do, but not everything they do or don't own. I don't even know everything my wife owns (other than me.)! :laugh:

You sure you don't work for the IRS? :jester:

I better get me tin foil out. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

John Turney
10-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Hmmm, our dentist owns an aircraft.

GregW
10-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Not many. Funny, I know prolly 3000 dentists. None own aircraft.
You don't know him but my grandfather had an airplane and was a dentist. Come to think of it, I didn't know him either. Died a year before I was born. He'd fly it up to lakes in Canada where there were no roads and go fishing.

DNK
10-26-2011, 03:15 PM
Bill, it's not just the inside . We finished a kids dentistry last year and the project shell and all $1.5 mil

10-26-2011, 03:38 PM
Errr...ahh, hey Don, wanna adopt? <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

DNK
10-26-2011, 03:45 PM
not my money. Just a teensy part of it

TR6BILL
10-26-2011, 04:56 PM

I don't know him.

Must be one of them California cosmetic dentists.

I just fix teeth good.

DNK
10-26-2011, 05:00 PM
You own your building?

TR6BILL
10-26-2011, 05:07 PM
You own your building?

Yup. Wanna buy it? Since the hospital in our little burg moved across town, all of our property values have gone down. When, and if, I retire, may have to sell to a Nail Parlor.

10-26-2011, 05:18 PM

I don't know him.

Must be one of them California cosmetic dentists.

I just fix teeth good.

Gentlemen, let's not lose sight of the weightier matter.

It is not if dentists own planes, rather; if pilots fix teeth. :hammer:

(only your local pop-a-lock guy knows for sure.) :jester:

DNK
10-26-2011, 05:20 PM
You own your building?

Yup. Wanna buy it? Since the hospital in our little burg moved across town, all of our property values have gone down. When, and if, I retire, may have to sell to a Nail Parlor.

That's pretty funny

DrEntropy
10-26-2011, 09:45 PM
I figger it'd be a tattoo shop with th' money to buy the pitch.

AngliaGT
10-26-2011, 11:24 PM
I like Cheese - &amp; want to buy a nice cheap F150.

- Doug

10-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Thought of you yesterday Doug. I sold our '96 all wheel drive HO 5.0 Explorer w/ 135K on it for $1500. Kelly bought it brand new. It had been sitting and needed a new home.