PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Set-up for MK2 1960

edbot
06-02-2002, 01:33 AM
Greetings JAG-GURUS

Im considering "upgrading" my suspension set-up.
Where should I begin. Rebuild the front end? New Bushings? New Ball Joints? New springs?

I am looking for a crisper and more responsive ride.

Has anyone raced any MK2s.

piman
06-03-2002, 11:30 AM
Hello Ed,

I own a 1962 3.8 MK2, and am in the process of restoring her. I plan to stiffen the suspension for road use (not racing).
I intend stiffer front springs, additional rear anti roll bar and possibly additional coil springs for the rear. I shall replace the dampers with something like Koni's which can be adjusted and I shall replace all the bushes with polyurethane and also try for a little negative camber on the front. (An easy adjustment) My aim is to cut down on roll and also reduce the understeer that the standard set up has.
There are kits on sale in the UK to improve the MK 2's handling, but at a price.
If you want to race, then lower, stiffer, and better location for the rear axle. Another popular modification is to fit an XJ6 rack and opinion steering to improve the accuracy of the steering.
Hope this helps.
Iain

piman
06-03-2002, 11:32 AM
Correction,

"rack and pinion"

Iain

XJRpilot
06-04-2002, 01:24 AM
in the UK, theres a company called HBE (harvey bailey engineering). they offer some very impressive upgrades for the MK1 and 2 suspension.
amazing handling from what i hear. check them out.
they had a feature article in jaguar world magazine. all parts are manufactured in house.
makes me wish i had a mk2

graemlins/cheers.gif