PDA

View Full Version : Driving in Maine - video

aerog
10-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Keeping it under 5 minutes but... here are some nice colors from last week, riding around parts of Maine :smile:

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="360" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1533911088_9tpbDKC?width=640&height=360&noshare&nohome&nologo"></iframe>

vagt6
10-17-2011, 02:39 PM
How absolutely beautiful.

<span style="font-style: italic">Almost</span> as pretty as the Virginia countryside . . . :lol:

aeronca65t
10-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Nice. We were at Watkins Glen and I'd say the colours were just past peak.
I've never been to that part of Maine (I saw the Rt. 186 sign).
What camera were you using? Considering you stuck it to the side of the car, I'm guessing a GoPro but not sure.
Nice, simple banjo music.....fit the video nicely.

AngliaGT
10-17-2011, 09:01 PM
What part of Maine was that taken at?
We stayed in Bar Harbor way back in '79 -
wish we could go back again.

- Doug

elrey
10-17-2011, 09:16 PM
What's wrong with the trees? They're all orange and stuff.

coldplugs
10-18-2011, 06:39 AM
Nice videos. We stayed in Bar Harbor 2 weeks ago on a trip to Machias to pick up an old outboard motor I bought. Went through Winter Harbor also.

Although there appears to be a bit of color in the video, this is the worst "fall colors" year I've ever seen. The leaves barely changed &amp; are now falling.

Thanks for posting that.

DrEntropy
10-18-2011, 07:26 AM
Ya find a Seagull, John? :laugh:

coldplugs
10-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Ya find a Seagull, John? :laugh:

Saw one in a museum in Bangor on the trip back. Only rich guys with big sailboats have them around here.

(The outboard I bought was an old Evinrude identical to the one I have. My plan is to combine the two engines into one that will actually propel a boat.

Of course, two "identical" sick engines of the same vintage are likely to have "identical" broken and worn parts.)

https://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f363/coldplugs/114Q285.jpg

aerog
10-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Nice videos. We stayed in Bar Harbor 2 weeks ago on a trip to Machias to pick up an old outboard motor I bought. Went through Winter Harbor also.

Although there appears to be a bit of color in the video, this is the worst "fall colors" year I've ever seen. The leaves barely changed &amp; are now falling.

Thanks for posting that.

Thanks John - fall colors are a crapshoot anywhere. I was in Virginia a few days before that and things were just barely changing. Several years ago I was there during the same dates and it was some of the most spectacular color I'd ever seen (even living there most of my life).

I can't complain about the weather in Maine though. Although it was a little warm for my liking I lucked out!

What camera were you using? Considering you stuck it to the side of the car, I'm guessing a GoPro but not sure.
Nice, simple banjo music.....fit the video nicely.

Yup - GoPro HD. I shot a lot more but I must not have tightened it down all the way on the last batch I shot - lots of vibration that wasn't there in any of the others.

When I pulled into one of the parking areas at Schoodic Point, someone yelled from another car about the camera and took some pictures. He thought it was pretty neat, don't think anyone else really noticed though :smile:

Click to enlarge...
https://pix.aerog.com/photos/i-vspmtMh/0/L/i-vspmtMh-L.jpg (https://pix.aerog.com/photos/i-vspmtMh/0/X3/i-vspmtMh-X3.jpg)

What part of Maine was that taken at?
We stayed in Bar Harbor way back in '79 -
wish we could go back again.

Some of it is in Acadia National Park on MDI near Bar Harbor, some of it is along some back roads and US1 north of Ellsworth and Winter Harbor.

aerog
10-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Here's another. Nothing fancy. I dropped the audio to almost nothing, it's just wind noise.

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="360" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1537591535_cQM9b67?width=640&height=360&noshare&nohome&nologo"></iframe>

elrey
10-19-2011, 09:14 AM
Thank you very much for the trips east. These roving car movies are great!

coldplugs
10-19-2011, 09:54 AM
There are several places along the Maine coast where the morning sun supposedly hits before it hits anywhere else in the continental US. The top of Cadillac mountain is one of those. Nice video.

aerog
10-19-2011, 09:58 AM
True 'nuff...that was sunset so, I suppose those places are the first to have sunset too :laugh:

10-19-2011, 12:34 PM
I've been thinking about getting a GoPro. We used them on the team. They are fantastic little cameras. I don't know what model we had. I just called my guy and he can get me the first gen GMHW5170 for $119. I'd much rather the HD but funds are tight.

We're thinking about shooting some vid for Kelly's pottery studio. Wheel throwing, raku etc. We have an old one she bought me years ago but I don't want to use that. I figured, if I'm getting a new camera, might as well get one I can stick on the car. I've been toying w/ the idea of youtube stuff for fun. It's always a disaster when I cook. It never turns out like I planned. Might as well preserve it for posterity. I'm mainly thinking about it to keep me from being bored when she's not home.

"The Helpless Chef."

Featuring "Toaster Chicken" and "How to cook bacon on the hood of a truck."

Scott, how much that run ya? You got the 1080 or 960 model?

DART
10-19-2011, 04:29 PM
Very nice footage Scott; like Billy asked, which model and how many $$$? I can easily see a use for both on and off car. (wonder if I can sell that concept to SWMBO?)

aerog
10-19-2011, 07:54 PM
I have the latest GoPro HD 1080 and use the extended battery option. The extended battery (bacpac they call it) lasts a <span style="font-style: italic">long time</span>. They also have an LCD live-video back for it. Both the extended battery and LCD display only work on the 1080. On these two car videos I used the suction-cup mount that comes with the "motorsports" package.

I haven't sprung for the LCD video back for mine yet but it sure would be nice. Getting things lined up is purely by guesswork and trying to line the body of the camera up with parts of the car. A cheap inclinometer would help quite a bit too, you're still guessing at the horizon (unless you experiment quite a bit).

The 1080 (with current firmware) can be mounted upside down too. I don't think the 960 can.

aerog
10-19-2011, 09:49 PM
A little <span style="font-style: italic">negative</span> info about this camera and others with similar shutters. The GoPro cameras and many other CMOS-sensor cameras use what they call a "rolling shutter" where the image is exposed along the vertical axis of the image. The rolling shutter causes two annoying effects: (1) when panning horizontally the images will skew (buildings will look like they're leaning), and (2)in environments that subject the camera to rapid vertical motion or vibration the images will appear to quickly contract and expand vertically - I call it "jellocam" myself :smile:

On the two car videos I posted, the camera was pretty solidly mounted and the car (a Chrysler 200) had pretty soft suspension. On a car with really stiff suspension on a rough road the video <span style="font-style: italic">may</span> show that jello-cam wobbly effect. Even worse, mounting on an area that isn't completely solid (soft bumpers or a large area of sheet metal that has flex to it) the effect can be pretty dramatic.

Some software can take out <span style="font-style: italic">some</span> of the effect <span style="font-style: italic">sometimes</span> but the nature of the sensors in these cameras just makes it a fact of life.

I have other video from that same car that was hardly viewable, partially because of the sensor's wobble/jello effect. I think I didn't have all the knuckles of the mount tightened all the way so the camera itself wobbled - obviously clean video is possible though because I shot it :smile:

So, the camera will do a great job when you set it in the right environment in the right mount, just be aware of the limitations.

aerog
10-19-2011, 09:51 PM
Here's a high-vibration environment with the obvious "jellocam" effect. The camera is mounted upside-down on the bottom of the airplane. The camera is hard-mounted to an area that has a little bit of give to it. In "cruise" flight enough vibration is transmitted from he engines/props to the camera that this is the inevitable result...some additional vibration from air buffeting doesn't help either.

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="360" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1539341525_kzMdGQs?width=640&height=360&noshare&nohome&nologo"></iframe>

10-19-2011, 11:48 PM
That's still great vid all things considered. Thanks for the info.

aeronca65t
10-20-2011, 06:04 AM
Nice....even with the minor "jello" effect. Thanks for the explanation of that effect! More knowledge is useful as I look at these types of cameras.

I have an original GoPro, which I dislike. Good (lithium) batteries barely last 20 minutes and the on/off/mode switch is very difficult to operate with gloves (or even my fat fingers). I wrote to the company about the short battery life and got a really crappy response.

But the new GoPro versions seem better (albeit expensive).

I'm looking at the GoPro, Aiptech, Veho, Drift, Sony Bloggie, Contour HD or another Flip camera (mine died in the rain last weekend at Watkins Glen, but it's been very reliable, quality was fine and price was under $100......made my own mount).

There may be others out there; I know there are cameras that include GPS track position, speeds, G-force, etc. I'm still looking.

In the end, I may buy another Flip or the Sony Bloggie.

aerog
10-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Cisco stopped making the flip in April so - good luck with that one :smile:

The shutter and on/off buttons on the GoPro 1080 are also fairly hard to press using the sealed case buttons. That's just the way they are. I haven't had any problem with them, but they do take some effort.

I ran the 1080 for about 2 hours today. That ate up half my battery and half (16gb) my memory.

DART
10-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Thanks again, Scott. I would like to be able to take car trip videos when on club drives, but am having 2nd thoughts about the value/price relationship. We will see. I just (10 minutes ago) bought a Sony HX-100 and I believe it has a video setting. Will wait for it's arrival and test drive to see if it fills my limited need.

aerog
10-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Yup - the HX100 has full 1080p capability (at 60fps I think). Just have to come up with a mounting system for it. RAM (https://www.ram-mount.com/camera_mount/camera_mounts.htm#/wizard?Cameradevice=2&amp;Cameradevice-1=0&amp;Cameraarm=0&amp;Cameramount=1&amp;Cameramount-1=0) makes all kinds of stuff you can put together for a decent mount that should hold a small camera.

DART
10-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Scott comes through again!!! Looks like one of those will work fine.

10-20-2011, 06:43 PM
The shutter and on/off buttons on the GoPro 1080 are also fairly hard to press using the sealed case buttons. That's just the way they are.

Man tell me about it. First time we used it I requested an equipment check seeing I've never used on before. ( I awalys like to know what I'm dealing with) That request was denied by boss #2. When it was time for boss #1 to leave the grid, I couldn't get the camera to turn on. Boss #1 starts screaming at me. (This was the first event with the team.) Luckily I managed to get it to work as he pulled out with my legs hanging out the window.

Man I was so mad. The whole situation was completely avoidable. You would think when your top tech is correct over and over again they would start to listen. Apparently not...and people wonder why I left.

Sure is nice here today. Wish I had me a Gopro to show y'all.

aerog
10-22-2011, 09:20 PM
There are several places along the Maine coast where the morning sun supposedly hits before it hits anywhere else in the continental US. The top of Cadillac mountain is one of those. Nice video.

Coincidentally this article (https://bangordailynews.com/2011/10/22/outdoors/where-in-maine-does-the-sun-rise-first/) was in the Bangor Daily News today :smile:

AN5Sprite
10-22-2011, 11:24 PM
117690251mm to the Lafin Place...but what is it in Whitworth? :jester:

Stop by for a beer if you find yourself passing by Windham...