PDA

View Full Version : Tragic Las Vegas shunt.

DrEntropy
10-16-2011, 06:42 PM
We've lost Dan Wheldon to what I would call a "Carnival Event".

Won't say more now, waiting for better intel.

Mickey Richaud
10-16-2011, 06:52 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/blog/from...n=nascar-wp4538 (https://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/blog/from_the_marbles/post/Dan-Wheldon-killed-in-horrible-IndyCar-crash-at-?urn=nascar-wp4538)

drooartz
10-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Just saw this. Crash was horrific. Sad day.

Basil
10-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Just tragic!

TOC
10-16-2011, 07:58 PM
Mickey...did you read some of the comments on that page? I do believe a few can easily (and correctly) be classified as "morons".

DrEntropy
10-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Mickey...did you read some of the comments on that page? I do believe a few can easily (and correctly) be classified as "morons".

Won't say more now, waiting for better intel.

10-16-2011, 09:25 PM
Read Cherry's reponse?

DrEntropy
10-16-2011, 09:54 PM
On parade a lot these days.

Yup.

Romans were as culpable.

JodyFKerr
10-16-2011, 10:04 PM

The unmoderated comments on most news and social sites, frankly, makes me fear for the future of society in general. Seems idiocy and banal crassness is more in vogue each passing day. On parade a lot these days. Better stop there.

We phrase it here as, "giving a voice to the people no one ever wanted to hear from."

The idea of giving everyone a voice is a great one until you realize that most people just suffer from verbal diarrhea.

Mickey Richaud
10-17-2011, 03:41 AM
Don't know why Yahoo (and many other media) allow that.

Oh, yeah - "Free Speech" - forgot... :wall:

vagt6
10-17-2011, 06:57 AM
225 MPH in qualifying for this race, something has to give. Those kind of speeds foster mayhem and are way too fast to ensure any level of safety.

It's a dangerous sport, but the rulemakers don't have to make it deadly.

Slow them down. :yesnod:

NutmegCT
10-17-2011, 06:59 AM
When that track was designed, what was the "typical race speed" it was designed for?

Tom

TR4nut
10-17-2011, 08:33 AM
Fortunately it appears the more graphic video has been pulled or at least isnt readily available - when I heard about it yesterday I checked the web, one of the local news feeds had a replay, including onboard video of Dan's car all the way to impact. He didn't have a chance.

I'm not a racer so will refrain from too many comments, but I remember this track from watching it before - it always shocked me how small the track was and how fast everyone was going. Very sad.

NutmegCT
10-17-2011, 11:03 AM
This is interesting:

"Former Formula 1 world champion Jody Scheckter wants his son to quit IndyCar racing following the death of Briton Dan Wheldon.

Asked whether the sport was safe, Scheckter told BBC Radio Berkshire: "No. It is the most dangerous form of motor racing at the moment.

"I think the set-up they put in so it can be more of a spectacle makes it very, very dangerous on circuits like this. Some others [circuits] aren't as bad."

https://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/15335428.stm

Tom

Andrew Mace
10-17-2011, 11:57 AM
<span style="font-style: italic">We put so much pressure on ourselves to win races and championships and today it doesn't matter.</span> -- Dario Franchitti, on the loss of Dan Wheldon

mailbox
10-17-2011, 07:21 PM
When that track was designed, what was the "typical race speed" it was designed for?

Tom

The track was "designed" for full bodied stock cars running in the 140-160 range, not for open wheeled 220+ cars. It was bound to happen sometime. I hope Indy can learn from this like NASCAR did from Dale Sr. death 10 years ago.