PDA

View Full Version : Ebay photo question

JPSmit
10-15-2011, 06:41 AM
Is there an easy way to pull pictures off ebay? Every once in awhile there is a car that I want pictures of for reference. I use XP and normally if I right click the picture, it says "save picture as" This is not the case with ebay. I have a nice little program called faststone capture - works great but it is time consuming to cut, save each picture. I'm really just being lazy here I know but if there is a timesaver out there that would be awesome!

Basil
10-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Well, you could do a screen print, then use a program like Photoshop to "crop" the picture.

DrEntropy
10-15-2011, 09:35 AM
And y'all know, now there's a GIMP version for Winblows.

coldplugs
10-15-2011, 10:40 AM
I've been using Gadwin PrintScreen for several years. You can set it up to take a screen shot of an area you select and it will save it in the format you want (jpg etc). It has lots of config options and it's free. ( www.gadwin.com (https://www.gadwin.com) , option to download is at lower right).

Nunyas
10-15-2011, 11:21 AM
And y'all know, now there's a GIMP version for Winblows. and Mac these days...

JodyFKerr
10-15-2011, 11:32 AM
GIMP & Photoshop to manage a few pictures is like using a howitzer to go squirrel hunting: total overkill.

In the "free" software realm I've found that Picasa from Google solves 98% of my needs for online photo posting.

In a pinch windows users can use Paint. It's not elegant, but it works.

Basil
10-15-2011, 01:49 PM
With my iMac I use a free utility called Grabber - capture entire screen, a specific window or selected area.

NutmegCT
10-15-2011, 05:43 PM
JP - for me, a screenprint isn't usually the same high res as the original picture on the ebay page. In some ads, ebay has "hidden" the picture name within the html code of the page; some people were "borrowing" pictures of things they don't have, for nefarious purposes.

So ... I just find the "hidden" picture name on the page.

On the page with the picture, use your browser to View Page Source. It's usually under Edit at the top of the browser, or with a right click on the page.

You'll see a new window with all the fun html code. Embedded in that code is the actual name of the picture, usually ending with .jpg.

Copy the whole picture name, which is actually a url within quotation marks. Include the http at the beginning, all the way to the .jpg at the end; then paste it into the address field of the browser.

Voila! You have the original picture now on your browser, so you can save it with the usual "right click to save".

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any question.
Tom

10-15-2011, 06:51 PM
using a howitzer to go squirrel hunting: total overkill.

You musta not seen the size of red squirrels down here. They don't call 'ell fox squirrels fer nuthin!

DrEntropy
10-16-2011, 05:52 AM
GIMP & Photoshop to manage a few pictures is like using a howitzer to go squirrel hunting: total overkill.

And this is bad, how? :jester:

We use it for more than "to manage a few pictures" here.

Suggested it 'cause it's capable enuff to do about anything Adobe's warez can, and it's free.

PAUL161
10-16-2011, 07:26 AM

Suggested it 'cause it's capable enuff to do about anything Adobe's warez can, and it's free.

I like free! I know I'm cheap, but free's good! PJ

JPSmit
10-16-2011, 07:39 AM
So ... I just find the "hidden" picture name on the page.

On the page with the picture, use your browser to View Page Source. It's usually under Edit at the top of the browser, or with a right click on the page.
Tom

Good news is I got it to work, bad news is the pics are so tiny that I could have used them for my profile pic - so I just used my existing program which is essentially a screenshot program. thanks all.

JodyFKerr
10-16-2011, 09:37 AM

I was mainly trying to point out that the programs are not necessarily for the uninitiated.

Also, just about every camera you buy these days comes with some form of photo editing software.

10-16-2011, 10:10 AM
I've yet to crop a shot.

DART
10-16-2011, 08:07 PM
or shoot a crop

Steve_S
10-16-2011, 09:09 PM
Pixlr Grabber is a free add-on to Firefox. It will do exactly what you're asking about.

eBay has changed their code to dissuade people from saving photos. I have no idea why they would care. You can still get the address from the code but the above plug-in is much easier.

10-16-2011, 09:18 PM
or shoot a crop

nope, not shot a cop even tho I stock a glock when I hock my rock.....ya heard me dawg.....I str8 up <span style="font-style: italic">GANGSTA</span> :jester: