PDA

View Full Version : A whole new chapter

10-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Long story short, I've done some experiementation in metal sculpture in the past w/ lead and pewter. Last night, kelly needed something to go in the middle of one of her large bowls. We looked at some of the work I did and decided that would look great, however; it was too large. I did some more investigating as I don't klike using lead and always have wated to use aluminum. I found out what I needed to know and now will be using aluminum for a media. We already have everything here anyway so why not?

We can go as high as 2450 deg F with the equipment we have. I'd like to step away from the automotive industry completely and just become an artist (mainly supporting her work). I always wind up back helping her out anyway.

Then I got to thinking, since I'll be doing a form of aluminum casting, why not make some cool hard to find parts! Stuff like the 1500 euro dual intake manifold or some custom one-off valve covers. I know of a really cool way to do designs that should transfer well to valvecovers.

I've already thought of something called the "Morris", named after our good friend here. A cast aluminum valve cover that has raised flames instead of fins. (This inspired by his avatar.) I'll be able to do logos, names, whatever. I should be able to do any shape so long as it's not overly complex. I'd love to do an aluminum OHC hemi head for a 1500, but that would take a TON of time and effort. ( Not to mention R&D)

I really miss fabricating on the race cars so this should be perfect. What else could I cast that is cool, hard to find or usually cost prohibitive?

startech47
10-12-2011, 04:04 PM
You could make changes to the intake to eliminate the frame/body notching required.

Banjo
10-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Sounds really neat. I've been having some artistic longings as of late too. Always wished I had the guts to quit work and just make stuff. Trick is to make stuff on the side and see how it goes first. (Now if I could just find some "side" to make it on.)

10-12-2011, 08:43 PM
You could make changes to the intake to eliminate the frame/body notching required.

Been thinking about that. I'm goning to make a better single sidedraft manifold too. It'll be similar to the dual SU but with a longer main plenum. Actually, I should make a sidedraft adapter for the SU manifold.

Ben, keep your job. It aint guts son, trust me!

AN5Sprite
10-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Here ya go, a little inspiration... :cowboy:

https://thechicaneblog.com/

10-13-2011, 08:03 AM
I did a quick makeshift (sic?) foundry test last night. I melted my crucible, lost my melt, broke my flower pot foundry and burned my wife's $150 1200 degree gloves. Otherwise it was a success! :laugh:

All I really wanted to do was melt the stuff...which I did and everything else with it. :thumbsup:

Despite all that I did enjoy it. I'm keeping a good attitiude about it. It was after all, a rush job test. Gotta take a 180 mile round trip to get the things I need to do it right.

You know what they say, "Never enough time to do it right :hammer:, ~ALWAYS~ enough time to do it twice." :wink:

Brooklands
10-13-2011, 09:11 AM
My HO layout is most of my artistic work. I am almost finished with the latest part of my slot car track, Brooklands, the Freak Show (https://www.reesed.com/speedway/TrackPix/FreakShow1.jpg) in the carnival/amusement park area. I did a bit more work yesterday, but now need people, including altering one of the HO figures to be Sylvia, large footed woman in the sign on the left.

Sherlock
10-13-2011, 09:27 AM
Sounds really neat. I've been having some artistic longings as of late too. Always wished I had the guts to quit work and just make stuff. Trick is to make stuff on the side and see how it goes first. (Now if I could just find some "side" to make it on.)

I think the dream of many of us, not just you, unfortunately I'm saddled with a day job for quite some time yet, trying to squeeze everything else into my in between time... :wink: That's life I guess...

coldplugs
10-13-2011, 11:51 AM
You can call your operation <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Cone 12 Speed Products Ltd</span></span>.

(It's a potter's joke...)

10-13-2011, 05:50 PM
:lol:!

Yeah, I think we might have been up to 12. :eeek: IIRC, terracotta is earthenware too. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

You throw?

coldplugs
10-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Yeah, I think we might have been up to 12. :eeek: IIRC, terracotta is earthenware too. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

You throw?

I try.

My wife's the pro.

10-13-2011, 11:38 PM
Same here. (literaly)