PDA

View Full Version : Amazing accident

Basil
10-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Talk about lucky to be alive:

https://www.youtube.com/v/GF3Iz7b95-8&amp;NR=1z7b95-8&amp;NR=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

GaryBeu
10-09-2011, 06:46 PM
INCREDIBLE...you just never know when it's your time, do you??

Basil
10-09-2011, 07:07 PM
INCREDIBLE...you just never know when it's your time, do you??

Apparently it wasn't his time.

TOC
10-09-2011, 07:31 PM
I remember when that first showed up several years ago........and it was some time later they added him in the interview.
If I recall, it was an E-6 Invader or an EA6 Prowler...can't remember. Someone I know explained maybe it was bypass, but I didn't think those in-fuselage-engines HAD bypass big enough for anything. It's in the first set of chopping blades and out the back set.
I always thought that the "interview" was an afterthought...maybe at the insistence of the Navy, to make folks think Flight Decks weren't dangerous places that enlistees should avoid.

Basil
10-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Umm, I don't get the connection here.

JPSmit
10-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Umm, I don't get the connection here.

started to explain - explanation was lame - pulled the post, that's just better.

TOC
10-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Me?

Patrick67BJ8
10-09-2011, 08:45 PM
I remember when that first showed up several years ago........and it was some time later they added him in the interview.
If I recall, it was an E-6 Invader or an EA6 Prowler...can't remember. Someone I know explained maybe it was bypass, but I didn't think those in-fuselage-engines HAD bypass big enough for anything. It's in the first set of chopping blades and out the back set.
I always thought that the "interview" was an afterthought...maybe at the insistence of the Navy, to make folks think Flight Decks weren't dangerous places that enlistees should avoid. When I was in the Navy I was on the flight deck as "Safety" for my squadron and at night time it is very dangerous place to be especially during launches. When the engines are started you can't hear anything!! You must continuously look all around for what's happening. Not a place to be if your mind is not 100%totally focused. Hand signals are the norm. When launches AND recoveries are going on at the same time it can be taxing! This guy is not the first one to go down an intake!
The 4 seater looks to be an EA6B. Special plane for radar jamming, etc. etc. etc. Only about three on the carrier at a time(when I was there), and about $33mil each during the '70's. Carelessly damage one and you could end up in the ships brig and 3 days of bread &amp; water. I saw this happen.

TOC
10-09-2011, 09:14 PM
With my Navy training, I had two places to go....Bird Farm or an SSN. I went SSN (SINS Tech)

JPSmit
10-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Me?

no, me :wall:

DrEntropy
10-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Pat, tho I'm an "airdale" an' TOC is one-a them goofy under-surface nutsos we have stuff in common.

...waay too much stuff.

Keep safe, motor gently. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

PAUL161
10-10-2011, 03:52 AM
I was a Navy airdale. Those intake accidents happen more than you think, their just not publicized. During flight operations, the flight deck of a carrier is one of the most dangerous places you could ever be! BUT, you'll never find that bit of information on a recruiting poster. PJ

equiprx
10-10-2011, 11:25 AM
I always thought that the "interview" was an afterthought...maybe at the insistence of the Navy, to make folks think Flight Decks weren't dangerous places that enlistees should avoid.

You are absolutely correct, that aircraft is not an A6 Intruder but an EA6B Prowler. A6 is a 2 seat fighter while the EA6B is the 4 seat, ECM Counter Measures version. There are lots of inter-changeable parts and assemblies but they are completely different as far as the major structures and purpose.