PDA

View Full Version : xjs: what type of valves to use?

XJRpilot
05-28-2002, 11:39 AM
if you were to rebuild a v-12 head, what type of valves would you use? the oem were stellite/sodium
filled. stainless valves are available. so are chromo steel. what are the pro's and cons if any?
what are the differences other than material?

aeronca65t
05-28-2002, 08:37 PM
If it's got stellite/sodium-filled valves at present, you may be able to grind them (big savings over new valves).

These oem valves are good for high heat....the sodium (inside the valve) turns to liquid when the valve reaches operating temp and carries heat (from the head) to the cooler part of the valve (near the guide). Big bucks for new ones.....I paid almost $30 each for sodium filled valves in my old Mini.

Not sure about the other choices, but you'd want to check and see if they're OK for unleaded gas

XJRpilot
05-29-2002, 09:49 AM
how much would you say a cooling advantage the sodium filled valves have over.. stainless.
would it really make that much of a difference?
titanium is also available but those cost more than the sodium filled. your right about checking to see if the valves are compatible with unleaded
gas, since some of the other valve materials are used in racing applications where the cars use racing juice. hopefully i can get some input from this forum, otherwise a web search/investigation is in order.