PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

TulsaFred
09-27-2011, 07:27 PM
I disassembled B/E my front suspension and disconnected the brake lines.
Ended up getting frustrated trying to plug the brake hose and just let all the brake fluid drain into a container.

I've bled brakes a number of times, but never started from empty. Any tips?
Should I fill the master cylinder and let it drain through the brake hose before connecting (to flush most of the air), or can I just hook up all the lines and fill from the top?

What is the best source for quality brake lines and wheel cylinders? I still have the front drums.

Fred

jlaird
09-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Hook em up, fill master cylinder.

Bleed from right rear, left rear, left front and finally right front.

This is not a big deal.

TulsaFred
09-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks Jack.
I know it may sound trivial, but I've been burned with many seemingly simple things that a first timer can overlook and end up with a problem.
This board is kind of like a garage with apprentices like me and old hands like you discussing how to do things. Pretty cool really.

What about suppliers/parts? Victoria British is only a few hours away from me and I often get parts the next day. I've been as satisfied with them as anyone else, but the India and China repros are hit or miss anywhere you buy. If there is a source for high end brake parts I'd gladly pay extra.

Fred

Jim_Gruber
09-27-2011, 09:09 PM
There have been issues reported on some of the new brake shoes from the usual sources now fitting correctly against the drums. I'd ask this list for a recommendaiton especially if you are going to keep drums up front.

JPSmit
09-27-2011, 09:13 PM
My only observation is that it will take more fluid than you think it should.

TulsaFred
09-27-2011, 10:00 PM
JP:
do you mean it takes more fluid to fill the system than it seems it should,
or that it will take a lot of bleeding and thus require lots of fluid run through until air is all out?
Fred

JPSmit
09-28-2011, 06:55 AM
Both <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif seriously, what i meant was to mY mind it took more fluid than i thought it should.

jlaird
09-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Actually should replenish the master cyl fluid after every wheel if it takes more that one pump.

Brake shoes from Peter C. His are right.

TraceZ
09-28-2011, 01:43 PM
It's a very small reservior on the master cylinder, and I've been refilling mine after 4 pumps of the pedal without any problems.

Just be really carefull not to be in a hurry and spill. I stuff a clean rag around the openning so if I drip at all the rag catches it.

TulsaFred
09-28-2011, 01:48 PM
I noticed I got a few drops of brake fluid on my chassis while taking the brake hose off. The paint immediately bubbled. When I set the spindle assembly on top of my parts cleaner some brake fluid dripped on the top and the paint immediately discolored.

Pretty intense stuff, that brake fluid.

Fred

David_Doan
09-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Starting from an empty system or one with lots of air, there a couple methods that make it easier.

1. Use a pressure bleeder as described here (https://doanfamily.net/blog/2011/08/06/oil-pressure/) and here (https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/topics/582993/Homemade_brake_bleeder)

2. Find a cork that fits in the MC fill hole. Drill a hole through the cork so that it can hold a small funnel. You can top up the MC and the funnel to give you more capacity and a visual of when its getting low.

Either of these make it easier to bleed the system with out the risk of introducing more air if the MC gets too low.

David

jlaird
09-28-2011, 08:07 PM
Hi David, welcome.

nomad
09-28-2011, 09:11 PM
If you take a look at the system you will notice that the line runs above the MC. I blame that for sometimes being difficult to get the last little bit of air out of the system. Other than that I agree with the group!!

Kurt.