PDA

View Full Version : So Much "Stuff" - Can I Part with it?

AngliaGT
09-23-2011, 01:45 AM
Looking around the garage (Definatly NOT Garage Mahal),
I've decided that I need to keep what I'll want/need,& sell
of the rest.
A lot of intersting stuff - to the right person.How do I
get rid of this stuff,& turn it into money,to pay down bills?
Do I offer this stuff to Forum members first?,or just put
it on eBay?
If I died today,most of this stuff would go to the wreck-
ing yard - but there's got to be that one weird person out there (like me),that thinks that "It's really cool",or has
an actual need for it.
Do I need to make a list of what I'll part with?Is anyone interested?I need money,but I'm not a greedy person.
I might sell off the '60 Chevy panel truck,the '74 TR6,
the '78 Datsun B210 - if the price is right.
I don't want to burden any of my kids with getting rid
of the "junk" that I've accumulated over my56 years.
I need to make a list of keep/or sell - any suggestions
on how to do this?

- Doug

Brooklands
09-23-2011, 07:07 AM
Doug, I would first ask the kids if they want any of the things. Sometimes you find that one of them is interested in something that you did not realize. Then I would try here, as well as Craigslist or eBay, or post with your local car clubs. Or donate them to a museum who can sell them to raise funds and take a tax deduction.

drooartz
09-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Some of it comes down to this question -- what is the value to you of having the stuff gone? That sets the price that you need to get.

This keeps you from needing to get top dollar for these things. You just need to get enough. As someone else who is currently down-sizing, I can't speak highly enough about sliming down the projects.

Ask the kids if they want any of the stuff, then price the rest to move. Getting it gone could very well be more valuable than any monetary return you'll get from the sales.

Then once it's all gone, you have to keep yourself from buying more. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

Good luck. It can be a tough job to get it all gone, but you'll feel much better when it's done and gone.

jessebogan
09-23-2011, 03:25 PM
As an automotive artifact accumulator of the first order, I am always interested.....Let me know what cha got, maybe I can find some of it a new home

Banjo
09-23-2011, 04:29 PM
I'm having bad dreams of flying out to the West coast, and doing a cross-country tour in a panel truck..... hehehehehe.
Can't happen, but it would be a fun adventure.

DNK
09-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Doug, what you need to do is have a friend bring a good cell phone camera in and make a you tube vid of your garage while you narrate.

AngliaGT
09-23-2011, 09:19 PM
I'd probably use up all of the capacity of a phone -
I've got boxes of odds &amp; ends,&amp; stuff squirrled away in there.
Need a "necker's knob"? - got one,need a Boyce "Moto Meter" for
a Model A? - got one,king pins for an International bus? -got
those too!

- Doug

weewillie
09-23-2011, 09:51 PM
Hmmmm! necker's knob

Trevor Triumph
09-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Yeah, sometimes it is better to have the stuff of the property than raise sustantial cash. I once sold some three rail transmission one for $125, two for $100. I think I still have three or four of them in the shed. Any takers?