PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A How to Repair Small Holes in TR-3 Soft Top



af3683
08-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to repair small holes in a soft top? Thank you.
Art

foxtrapper
08-16-2011, 06:49 AM
I've had good luck with using dental floss to sew it back together, then goop on some black rtv. I've had rips and tears last for years that way.

I have not had good luck with tapes of any type.

PeterK
08-16-2011, 07:13 AM
I saved an old top just for this occasion. For a hole or large tear, I cut out a patch from the old top and contact cement it over the tear. The pattern in the vinyl matches and it less noticeable. Worked for a season or two, Now I have a new top.

ekamm
08-16-2011, 09:07 AM
This may seem obvious but if you want it to last, I recommend going to an automotive upholsterer that work with tops and the like. I payed $30 or so a number of years ago and still good.

af3683
08-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions. I ordered some adhesive called StormSure after seeing some videos on YouTube. It looks like great stuff and a lot of folks seem to rave about it. Thanks again.

Art

djwoody
08-17-2011, 03:25 PM
I've had good luck with using dental floss to sew it back together, then goop on some black rtv.

A small seam (2-3 inches) has ripped on my top boot cover. Dental floss sounds like a good idea - much stronger than cotton thread. Can you elaborate on "then goop on some black rtv". Also, the cover is red, so any suggestions on how to colour match the repair?

tomshobby
08-17-2011, 04:40 PM
I had a three corner tear in my TR6 top 8 years ago.

Repaired it and it still looks as good as the day I did it.

I used a product called VIP. It is a contact cement used by professionals, I asked one and that is how I found out about it.

Then I found some material that was close in color. Went to an upholstery shop and they gave it to me.

Then I followed the directions and applied the glue to the underside of the top and the patch. Then placed a small board under it and one over it with some weight on to hold things in place while it set up. Last was after it had set I applied a small amount to make it look nicer on the outside.

The photos are as it is nearly 8 years and more than 30,000 miles later.