PDA

View Full Version : Source for Bugeye dash/switch bezel nuts

TulsaFred
08-06-2011, 10:01 PM
I wire wheeled my cruddy dash components: backs of gauges, switches, etc., then I clear coated them with rattle can clear enamel. They look pretty good.
The quality of the original switchgear is remarkable, heavy duty, lots of brass, etc.

Now putting it back together I notice that the wiper switch, turn signal indicator switch, choke cable, heater cable, etc all have thin chrome nuts securing them.

The vendors carry very little for a Bugeye dash, not even these nuts.
They look relatively generic.

Any source for these?

Fred

The_architect
08-07-2011, 07:37 AM
Fred, if I am not mistaken I found some thin jam nuts at a hardware store. They were not quite as thin as I would have liked, they were about half the thickness of a regular nut. I have contemplated turning them down a little further on the lathe but I am not quite that obsessive- not yet.

HTH
Charlie

startech47
08-07-2011, 08:08 AM
Try an electronics supply house like Allied.

The_architect
08-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Good call startech47. I found these (https://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Selection) at Digikey. I do not know the thread size of the switches/cables so I do not know if any of these will fit. Some of them are pretty cool looking.

Charlie

TulsaFred
08-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the advice guys

Charlie, I don't think you link is working correctly ?

BTW
I am also having trouble with nuts for the backs of the gauges to secure the tach, speedo, fuel and combination gauge to there respective brackets and electrical connections.
I bought some 6/32 and 8/32 knurled nuts but the threads seem wrong.
Interestingly, I also ordered a few knurled nuts from the british salvage guys on ebay and got 4 of them. Two looked old and original and worked fine. Two looked newer (?repro or from a later model car) and they did not fit-wrong thread.

Is there something unique or unusual about the threads on these original Smiths gauges?

Fred

The_architect
08-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Ah you're right Fred. Go here and at the bottom of the page push the button that says "View Page." (https://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords=dress+nut). You can also try a google search for "dress nuts hardware." If you put just "dress nuts" that will not work as well.

If you are talking about the studs on the back of the Smiths gauges I believe they are not a standard thread. But you can find them on eBay. Search for "Smiths instrument nuts."

Charlie

TulsaFred
08-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Yes, now it works
Looks like I just need to figure out the thread and size of the originals

So the gauge studs have unique threads, wonderful. Apparently they are "BA" threads (3BA to be exact). These don't have any "close enoughs" available with modern threads from what I can see. Guess I need to find "original" gauge nuts.

I hope the jam nuts aren't some odd archaic thread.

Fred

ichthos
08-07-2011, 12:21 PM
And don't forget Ebay UK. Someone just sold a complete set of brackets and nuts for gauges there. I am always on the look out at British car shows too. I took guages with me to make sure they worked.
Kevin

TulsaFred
08-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Well I just got back from Lowes.
For future reference:

1. Screws holding the steering column cover to dash are 6/32 brass screws, 3/8 in

2. The thread on the windhield wiper switch is 3/8-24

Haven't figured out the threads on the turn signal indicator switch and the heater switch/cable, but they appear to be finer than 24 and slightly over 1/2 inch. I'll be checking. The starter cable and choke cable don't have front bezel/jam nuts.

Fred

smaceng
08-07-2011, 03:10 PM
You might try Clark's Spares as they are the king for nuts and bolts, even if they are mainly a MGA house...heck, we have a lot of stuff we share with them.
Scott in CA