PDA

View Full Version : First Swiss jaunt

boc
08-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Good evening all,
My TR4A arrived in Switzerland last week after over 6 weeks in transit. The shipping process was less than satisfactory but that is another discussion for another time. Although it is imported, I must now secure the equivalent of the registration papers. This involves multiple tests and an appointment which is scheduled about 5 weeks from now. I've been told by my local garage that I will have to loose my winged spinners on my wire wheels in favor of bolt ons and likely will have to source a kilometer speedometer to pass inspection. The good news is that I am allowed to drive the car on US plates until the appointment!!!
Armed with that new knowledge, I came straight home after work today. I couldn't get changed and to the garage quick enough. It was a perfect evening for a blast along the lakeshore and up into the Jura mountains little B roads. I didn't know it was possible to grin for 2 hours straight. What a beautiful end to the week and beginning of my holidays. I have already mapped my itinerary for tomorrow and can't wait to hear that magnificent symphony at 4000 rpm again.

- Brett

TOC
08-05-2011, 04:54 PM
I know for Jags, Euro Spec is some kind of earless knock-off. Is he sure you need to lose the wires, or just the ears on the knockoffs?

tomgt6
08-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Have fun.

Andrew Mace
08-05-2011, 06:18 PM
I know for Jags, Euro Spec is some kind of earless knock-off.Those were required in Europe (Germany and perhaps other countries) even before they were required in the US due to safety regulations. The "octagonal" head knockoffs are readily available new, for example, at The Roadster Factory (https://trf.zeni.net/featureT6/index.php?page=23) here in the US or from Moss Motors in the UK (https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=2337).

HerronScott
08-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Maybe a quick run up to Limora's Stuttgart/Boblingen office? :smile:

Limora wire wheel knock offs (https://www.limora.com/index/lang-2/lkz-195/markenid-8/katnr-120/kat_sprache-2/hrubnr-1197/rubrik-3159/tpl-clickable_vertikal.tpl,x-a.htm)

I did find another reference to a 1967 car restoration in Switzerland needing octagonal knock offs.

"The Dayton wire wheels are equipped with "knock-off hubs", in order to correspond to Swiss regulations, the three-wing nuts had to be replaced with octagonal wheel nuts."

Scott

3798j
08-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Obviously - Pure Joy.

boc
08-06-2011, 03:40 AM
Sorry about those extra words which appeared in larger size font. Dont know how that happened.
The majority of vintage autos here have the winged or dog eared knock-offs but to pass inspection i will have to get the octagonal ones... maybe i can borrow some from my mechanic.
The real hassle is replacing the speedo and passing the emissions test. Older cars have a bit more leeway but it cant be emitting smoke etc...
Thanks for the local supplier suggestions.

Brett

tomshobby
08-06-2011, 06:58 AM
Has to be some of the more beautiful places to drive in the world. Please post photos. Be safe and have fun!