PDA

View Full Version : Things I have learned from buying a car in pieces:

Jimflorida
08-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Lesson #1: It is a heck of a lot easier to put something together if you are the one who took it apart.

Right now I am staring at about 15 little covers, pieces, etc. that look like they may be some part of the pedal assembly. The Haynes manual doesn't help too much with this. I am sure I will eventally puzzle it out. Jim

RickB
08-05-2011, 03:36 PM
There is a pdf of a parts manual available, want me to email you a copy?
Wait, if you put your car in your signature it would be easier for people to assist. What model & year is your boxed Spridget?

DrEntropy
08-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Or post some pix of the mystery bits and we can all chime in at recognizing what they are and where they go. A kind of 3-D virtual puzzle! :laugh:

Jimflorida
08-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the offer of the parts manual. i will pm you with my email address.

I could have a "Name that Part" contest! Have to figure out how to post pictures.
Jim

DrEntropy
08-05-2011, 04:40 PM
One day I'm gonna get over your way and mebbe can help sort out some of that pile for ya. :wink:

Billm
08-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Here is that manual- already on line:
https://www.spridgetguru.com/TchIndx17_files/AKD3514.pdf
BillM

RickB
08-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks Bill, I also answered the same thing in a PM so Jim should have it.

Jimflorida
08-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Can anyone identify these pieces? There is a good chance they may not be Bugeye parts, but they came with the Bugeye. The pedal box doesn't not look right to me--too big. But, I could be wrong.

Billm
08-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Well- the motor mounts are correct for a Bugeye (and anything else) but the rest are all for later model cars (like '68 and later)
BillM

Trevor Jessie
08-05-2011, 08:24 PM
On the left (top and bottom) are the latch plates for the bugeye. In between those are the toe eyelets. Top is a bent up 948 heat shield. At the bottom are bumper mounts for a later model car. Right lower corner are the splash panel brackets that span in between the inner fender and radiator uprights. Then there is a late model pedal box in the middle and a early model blanking cover for the rhd pedal box.

Billm
08-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Trev
You took far too long analyzing those (even if you are correct)!
BillM

Gerard
08-05-2011, 08:50 PM
On the left (top and bottom) are the latch plates for the bugeye. In between those are the toe eyelets. Top is a bent up 948 heat shield. At the bottom are bumper mounts for a later model car. Right lower corner are the splash panel brackets that span in between the inner fender and radiator uprights. Then there is a late model pedal box in the middle and a early model blanking cover for the rhd pedal box.

That's not a heat shield. It's a splashguard between the inner fender and radiator on a later car. Goes with the right side bracket. The two plates to the left of the pedals box are: 1 cover for the pedal box, 1 blanking cover for opposite side pedal box location.

Trevor Jessie
08-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Ha! you're correct. They should issue magnifying glasses with smart phones.

Jimflorida
08-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Thanks for your help guys. That's an odd selection of parts for a 1960 Bugeye. I did not think that pedal box was right. At least one or two of the parts are usable. i did not find a correct pedal box for the Bugeye in the catalogs. Anyone know of a source?
Jim

Jimflorida
08-05-2011, 09:28 PM
I see that AHSpares has a pedal box for about $120.

kalist
08-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Check ebay. The early pedal boxes show up there quite often.

tomshobby
08-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Lesson #1: It is a heck of a lot easier to put something together if you are the one who took it apart.

Right now I am staring at about 15 little covers, pieces, etc. that look like they may be some part of the pedal assembly. The Haynes manual doesn't help too much with this. I am sure I will eventally puzzle it out. Jim

Good luck Jim,

I just saw this thread and can identify the parts. The reason is that I bought my 74 in boxes and had to do the same thing. I had only ever had Triumphs and had never seen a Midget in driving condition.

Thanks for reminding me where I was. It makes me feel better about where I am.

tomshobby
08-05-2011, 10:17 PM
BTW Jim,

Check with Peter at World Wide Auto in Madison, WI for those hard to find parts.

https://www.nosimport.com/

He has a warehouse filled with hard to find parts. I know. I live only about 6 miles from there and bug him often and am very rarely disappointed.

Sopwith_Camel
08-06-2011, 02:19 PM
yep I recogonise the bits from the mark 4 so early seventy is what you got there.

cheery
steve

Jimflorida
08-06-2011, 05:50 PM
If anyone needs the later-model pedal box or splash guard, let me know. They're no good to me and my Bugeye. Jim

smaceng
08-06-2011, 06:22 PM
One of the things I learned was never trust the results of a compression test written on a tag secured to the engine. The first clue should have been how close all the readings were and such accuracy from a compression gauge! Engine was toast!
Scott in CA

Jimflorida
08-06-2011, 07:17 PM
I'll have to remember that one. That's a pretty shady sales ploy. I had a car salesman a while back swear a car he had (which was some kind of purple) was actually black. He said it just looked purple in the sun. I guess you have to admire the effort.

smaceng
08-06-2011, 07:35 PM
email sent to you regarding brake and clutch box.
Scott

jlaird
08-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Source for peddle box, ebay.