PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A TR4A barn find

BRSLimited
08-04-2011, 05:01 PM
I just purchased a TR4a titled as a 67 but I suspect may have been a 66 by the commission number. Pulled the numbers off the commission tag and it's body 26 (wedgewood blue) trim H16. Any idea what this is supposed to be? I've never seen a trim code start in a letter and none of my literature even gives 16 as a valid number. The car was last registered in 98 and has not run since. Some fresh gas, cleaned the points, and a coil and she fired right up. Carbs need to be cleaned though. In looking the car over it's showing 50K on the odometer and from the looks of things I'm believing this might be actual mileage. Believe it or not EVERYTHING on the car still works, all the lights, turn signals, guages, ect. I've seen so many of these things that don't work after just sitting through a winter let alone 12 years. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance to.

trrdster2000
08-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Well done, check out the brakes and clutch and away you go!!!!

Wayne

TR4nut
08-04-2011, 06:18 PM
I believe H means leather. if it were 11 instead of 16 it would have been black leather - I have that code on my TR4.

Edit: according to this (https://www.triumphspitfire.com/Paint.html#trim), looks like you had Midnight blue leather - that would look sharp with wedgewood.

Got_All_4
08-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Where's the pics? We like pics!!!

HerronScott
08-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Randy is correct - H means leather. Mine are H12 (Matador Red Leather) and H11 (Black Leather). I don't think that I've seen any TR4A's in Wedgewood Blue.

And most certainly post pics!

Scott

bnw
08-04-2011, 10:05 PM
How did you find one in Mount Pleasant? I never see anything here in Beulah!

BRSLimited
08-05-2011, 10:52 AM
How did you find one in Mount Pleasant? I never see anything here in Beulah!

I've got a bugeye sitting in my showroom for sale and a lady came in one day and said her brother who passed away had a TR4 that was sitting in a storage barn and asked if I might be interested in it. Got the car and a huge pile of Triumph and MGA parts for a really good price. I'm in the process of pulling the carbs now to clean them up and hopefully get it running better. The interior, or what is left of it does appear to be a dark blue. The car has been repainted long ago but in the original wedgewood blue and with the blue interior it is very striking. I'll get some pictures this afternoon when I can get it back outside in the sun. BNW, if your looking for a good car I've got a couple of them for sale.

BRSLimited
08-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Here are some pictures of the TR4 after getting it running good and moving under it's own power.

Photobucket (https://s1178.photobucket.com/albums/x378/brslimited/)

Tr3aguy
08-09-2011, 06:15 PM
nice find, so the next step is......? Restoration maybe?

Geo Hahn
08-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Randy is correct - H means leather...

In case you're wondering how H came to stand for leather -- I think the Brits would call it 'Hyde'.

mrv8q
08-09-2011, 10:12 PM
https://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x378/brslimited/IMAG0002.jpg

BRSLimited
08-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Yes the car will be restored. It's going to be about a year out yet as the TR250 is taking priority but they are both going to the same collection. Right now I'm in the process of doing a nut and bolt restoration on a early TR4 frame and drivetrain that will go on display with no body. When this is restored it will be parked right next to the frame in a replica dealership. I guess I'm a handy pet to have being a mechanic for a guy that has a private museum LOL.