PDA

View Full Version : TS1 LO HAS BEEN SOLD!

lbcs_r_fun
08-02-2011, 01:50 PM
It's official everyone. TS1 LO has been sold to Dr. Phillip Hoops of Salt Lake City, Utah. It is scheduled to arrive from Hawaii this week. It will be nice to have this historic car back in the continental USA where, hopefully, more people will see it!

Andrew Mace
08-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Wow...the poor car has gotten shuffled around a bit in recent years. I agree with you that it might be a bit more accessible now.

I greatly admire the amazing work and dedication of former owner/restorer Joe Richards. At the same time, I equally admire the folks in and beyond UK's TR Register for their equally amazing work and dedication in getting sister car TS2 back to its original glory. If only, somehow, Triumph clubs and enthusiasts in the US could have been behind TS1LO in the same way...and have it as accessible as the TR Register does with TS2!

TR4nut
08-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Interesting. Is Dr. Hoops active in the Triumph community? I agree with your comments Andy, in the UK TS2 is really a big deal with the TR Register groups, it is a great showcase vehicle that is readily accessible for viewing at club events.

Lou Metelko
08-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Andy and I rarly disagree, if ever, but having the beloved TS1 beat on by some ham fisted yahoo rolls my stomach. I have read on the British Triumph Register forum stories concerning TS2, like "performance is not what I expected", "feels clumsy compared to my TR_" etc. etc.

No again no, TS1LO belongs on a pedestal. I genuflected in front of it when Joe Richards reintroduced at TRA 2003 and hopefully I will again.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

TR4nut
08-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Lou, Lou, Lou - watch out they'll put us all in a museum some day! I'm one of those that just enjoys seeing these TR's on the road - it depresses me when I see them just shined up for static display. Kind of like a stuffed trophy.

justin_mercier
08-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Museum cars are nice when they're all original un-restored examples that were hardly driven, but if a car's been restored, i like to see it on the road, because... well it's only original once =)

My TR6 will be FAR from original when it goes back together, but there are a whole lot of sixes. If i ever get a TR2 like i really want, i'll probably try to keep it all original or at least as original as is reasonable without breaking the bank =) I love the original painted steel wheel with hubcap look on 2s and 3s =)

lbcs_r_fun
08-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Lou, Lou, Lou - watch out they'll put us all in a museum some day! I'm one of those that just enjoys seeing these TR's on the road - it depresses me when I see them just shined up for static display. Kind of like a stuffed trophy.

Randy, et al: Most of us know Don Elliott. He told me last year that he had hoped to bring his black 3A, "TRusty" to England this summer. Well, for some reason this didn't pan out. The guys from the Triumph Register became aware of Don's dashed dreams and came to the rescue.

What a perfect match - surely one of the world's most avid TR enthusiast and one of the world most famous TR's touring England together in style.

https://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae297/trtags/5964404576_15fcaf71c4_b.jpg
<span style="font-weight: bold">Don Elliott driving TS2 </span>

Andrew Mace
08-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Andy and I rarly disagree, if ever, but having the beloved TS1 beat on by some ham fisted yahoo rolls my stomach. I have read on the British Triumph Register forum stories concerning TS2, like "performance is not what I expected", "feels clumsy compared to my TR_" etc. etc. ...Well, we really don't disagree, Lou! I should have qualified my "accessible" statement a bit more. I, too, have read some of those Forum and other stories about the car, and it bothers me a lot. To me, both TS1LO and TS2 are virtually priceless. While neither is a true original in one sense, both cars were very carefully and sympathetically brought back as close to their original build as possible, and I would greatly prefer to see them treated very gently and respectfully as the irreplaceable pieces of Triumph history that they are. (Kinda why I'm not a big fan of vintage racing; seeing Blower Bentleys, Cobra Daytona Coupes and original TRS Le Mans car thrashed as if replacement fenders and engines were behind the counter at Pep Boys doesn't thrill me, and I have witnessed a couple severe crashes of some very valuable old racecars... but that's another topic!)

For cars such as TS1LO and TS2, my idea of accessible is that they can be made available to see at appropriate venues, not necessarily to be driven hard, fast or for great distances by any number of people!

P.S. I should note that I feel particularly "close" to the twins TS1LO and TS2 since both were born two days before I was! (and both are arguably in better condition.... :wink: )

CinneaghTR
08-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Anyone dare to suggest what the selling price was? I just would like to know ballpark, not anyone's personal business.

Banjo
08-07-2011, 08:16 PM
I got to see TS1 and meet both Joe and it's then new Hawaiian owner as she changed hands at Watkins Glen a few years back.
https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3097/2833942907_f3c565aa57.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/63299653@N00/2833942907/) TR2 (TS1) first production TR2 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/63299653@N00/2833942907/) by banjoben42 (https://www.flickr.com/people/63299653@N00/), on Flickr

Willie_P
08-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Hmmmm....they are sports cars aren't they? I see 550 Spyders being raced all the time and with the 4 cam engines, pretty delicate.

It's only metal and can be fabricated should there be a shunt or something.

I also think there is a guy in Germany that vintage races one of the TRS's and even blew the Sabrina engine on its' first outing.

Museums are for paintings!

Twosheds
08-08-2011, 10:36 AM
TS1LO wasn't raced at the Glen. Display only.

No safety equipment anyway.

TR4nut
08-08-2011, 11:44 AM
TS1LO wasn't raced at the Glen. Display only.

Are you sure? I was positive I saw it flying down the old course.. :laugh:
https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t145/deruiterville/Watkins%20Glen%202008/IMG_0376.jpg
https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t145/deruiterville/Watkins%20Glen%202008/IMG_0378.jpg

drooartz
08-08-2011, 01:07 PM
The new owner is a member of my local club -- nice guy with a nice little collection of cars. Hope to get a chance to see it one of these days.

Banjo
08-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Watkins Glen 2008. Watch at 0:46-49.

https://www.youtube.com/v/XkrJKiayCvk&amp;feature=relatedKiayCvk&amp;feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

TR4nut
08-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Yeah, and I see my beer gut sneaking in on the edge of the screen in several of those frames!

Banjo
08-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Yup. I'm bettin the guy in the orange shirt in your picture is the one taking the video I found on youtube.
I diden't get a video from the sidelines that year as I was riding along with Dan Herrara in his TR3

https://www.youtube.com/v/qk0M2elfsIg2elfsIg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Andrew Mace
08-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Watkins Glen 2008. Watch at 0:46-49.
Hmm...cool car, cool car, cool car, cool car, <span style="font-size: 26pt"><span style="color: #FF0000">TS1LO!</span></span>, cool car, cool car, cool car, cool car, <span style="font-size: 26pt"><span style="color: #3333FF">TR250K!</span></span>, cool car, cool car...

:driving:

Twosheds
08-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Wasn't that fun, Ben?

Banjo
08-09-2011, 03:33 PM
A day I remember well.... It'll only be topped when I thrash my own TR2 around the old course. But I'll probably never see a group of Triumphs like that again. That was an amazing assemblage. Everything from TS1, to an Italia, and lots of new friends to boot.
I hope to get another ride with ya someday John.

MGA75002
08-11-2011, 12:13 PM
To reinforce what Andy has to say, Joe Richard's restoration was particularly histrionic when consdidered what shape TS1LO was in when he found it. [If this is incorrect, please correct me - it gets to where you can't tell fact from fiction when it comes to legends] If this is the car, it eventually ended up parked next to a ................. [drum roll] ............... SALT MINE in either USA or Canada. Now, I would guess that if you parked a metal automobile next to a salt pit for 5 years or so, you would end up with a small pile of rubber seals and some pitted glass lenses and windshield.

My Triumph-fanatic running mate (tr3bGeorge) is ecstatic over TS1 returning stateside. He says, "I have seen Willie Mays play baseball, seen Bill Russel play basketball in college, and Johnny Unitas throw a football. When I finally see TS1, I can call it a day."

Philthy

Andrew Mace
08-11-2011, 01:06 PM
To reinforce what Andy has to say, Joe Richard's restoration was particularly histrionic when consdidered what shape TS1LO was in when he found it. [If this is incorrect, please correct me - it gets to where you can't tell fact from fiction when it comes to legends] If this is the car, it eventually ended up parked next to a ................. [drum roll] ............... SALT MINE in either USA or Canada....I don't know about the salt mine story, but I do know the car was pretty sorry when Joe got it. Funny thing is, I had been corresponding a bit with the previous owner about the car back in the mid-1970s. Thankfully for Triumph history, I didn't get the car; then or now, I'd never have had the resources, skills, time and patience to do what Joe did to bring the car back to glory!

Mickey Richaud
08-11-2011, 01:19 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the new owner may have just signed up here...

martx-5
08-11-2011, 02:14 PM
For those that haven't seen the TS1LO Restoration Booklet (https://www.triumphregister.com/TS1LObooklet.pdf)

drooartz
08-12-2011, 10:16 AM
The new owner hopes to have the car out at our big local concours show on the 27th of August. Hope to get lots of photos for y'all.

Iguy48
08-21-2011, 12:01 AM
Sorry, it has taken a while for me to get logged in. TS1 LO has arrived (August 19) in Utah and is safely tucked away in a nice garage built for vintage cars, next to our home at the base of the Wasatch Mountains near Snowbird and Alta ski resorts. There are 7 other British cars in the garage: 54 MGTF, 59 TR3, 62 TR3, 60 MGA, 61 MGA, 62 AH 3000, 65 AH 3000, and, sorry, a German (60 Porsche 356 convertible). I am honored to be the new caretaker of this historic, beautiful car with an incredible history. I am in communication with Joe Richards, its' legendary restorer, and the most recent owner, Robert Smith of Hawaii. The car looks beautiful and rides incredible! There are some minor cosmetic issues that I hope to correct in the future. It is my desire to show the car as much as I can. If it had arrived a bit sooner, I would have taken it to the VTR convention in Breckenridge this weekend. It will be a featured car, along with my other cars, at our Concours d'Elegance at Thanksgiving Point, Utah, next Saturday. As soon as I can figure out how to download pictures (make large files smaller) I will upload some pictures.

Phillip C. Hoopes
Sandy, Utah

DNK
08-21-2011, 12:06 AM
Welcome Phillip, looking forward to the Pics.
If you download them to a picture site you can upload them automatically resized here.
PhotoBucket is used by many

toysrrus
08-21-2011, 05:10 AM
Howdy Phillip,

"Welcome" to the BCF &amp; "Congrats" on your purchase of TS1. I`ve had a few conversations with Robert Smith regarding some of the Thorobreds in his Stable. I ended up buying a couple of his "T-Shirts" with TS1 depicted on the back side.

Mine have accidentally got torn &amp; I was wondering if you purchased or rec`d. his "T-Shirts" with TS1?

If Yes; I would like to buy another one.

You can feel free to contact myself here or via email at: toysrrus@att.net.

Thanx and Regards,

Russ

TR4nut
08-21-2011, 06:10 AM
Welcome Phillip - And congratulations on being the next caretaker of such a wonderful car. From your description it sounds like TS1 has found a proper home!

I am sending you a private message, there should be a flashing icon next to the "My stuff" menu at the top to let you know of a potential convention opportunity next year.

Regards,
Randy

mgedit
08-21-2011, 07:07 AM
While waiting for Phillip to post new pictures, here is one of dozens I took when the car left for Hawaii in 2008 from Watkins Glen:

https://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r268/mgedit/WatkinsGlen2008.jpg

Cheers, Mike

Banjo
08-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Any chance It may return to Watkins for the Vintage Fest this year in Sept, and we get to meet the new owner?
It's great that you joined up here. That's a pretty special link for us TR guys. Someday I'll get TS5012LO on the road.
I had the luck of doing a lot of work on TS816LO I wish I could have bought that car! All original, and ready to run.
That's a great sounding collection of goodies that TS1 gets to share it's home with. (Even the Porsche)I'd have one of those too if I could afford it.

Iguy48
08-21-2011, 06:18 PM
The problem with September is I will already be gone the first two weeks. Besides collecting British cars, I also collect degrees and will be starting a diploma program at Cambridge. I hope to see TS2 while over there. And, Watkins is a long ways away. However, I think it would be appropriate one day to bring it back. I have talked to Joe Richards about reuniting with TS1 soon.
I am a surgeon and I do need to plan out far enough ahead so patient surgeries aren't cancelled or rearranged too much.

Keep in touch.

Phil

Banjo
08-22-2011, 03:22 PM
That's more than understandable. Sounds like quite an adventure you have planned. Maybe someday the stars will align, and things will work out. There are a lot of great vintage events, and only so much time. I will say, when you get the chance to come to Watkins for the Vintage fest, you won't be disappointed.
The best plan would be to find a cottage on Seneca lake to rent for the week.
Good luck in your endeavors.
Ben

Iguy48
05-16-2013, 12:08 AM
Sorry it has taken so long to get back to everyone. To update you on TS1, Joe Richards and TS1 were reunited at last summer's TRA meet in Little Switzerland, NC. I enjoyed meeting so many nice Triumph enthusiasts and loved getting to know Joe and Doty better. Joe noticed that TS1 needed some more work and I agreed. It was taken to Macy's Garage in Tipp City, OH for repairs and remains there still. Joe is able to check in on the progress from time to time and keeps me informed. I can't wait to return TS1 to the streets and to display this magnificent treasure at future meets. I am committed to the continued longevity and preservation of this historic car and acknowledge that it belongs to all Triumph enthusiasts and car lovers.

Geo Hahn
05-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the update Phil -- I look forward to seeing TS1 when it returns to making public appearances.

PM sent

Don Elliott
05-16-2013, 12:52 PM
In July, 2011, I was offered the use of TS2 to tour in the UK. I drove 2088 miles in 23 days with the top down the last 17 days. Read about my trip as written in the RAGTOP, the club magazine of the Toronto Triumph Club. https://www.triumphmontreal.com/docs/Pages_from_Spring_2012_Ragtop.pdf Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A TS 27489 LO

Bradhowesable
05-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Joe Richards is actually my grandfather. I love seeing how respected he is in the community.

PeterK
05-18-2013, 04:21 PM
Joe Richards is actually my grandfather. I love seeing how respected he is in the community.
"like!"